Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Lessons learned from KZN Riots

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Caltrops are shit if you and your side need to use the roads you deploy them on.
    If you were in the military and did VCP drills then you would know that they can be attached to a rope or line and deployed/removed as necessary.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster View Post
    If you were in the military and did VCP drills then you would know that they can be attached to a rope or line and deployed/removed as necessary.
    Happily I chilled out at DHQ and picked up weight when I was in the military.

Are you talking about spike strips or caltrops? I have never seen caltrops deployed with ropes. They are an area denial tool.

User

Happily I chilled out at DHQ and picked up weight when I was in the military.

Are you talking about spike strips or caltrops? I have never seen caltrops deployed with ropes. They are an area denial tool.

The Marines version was the kameeldoring 4 prong pattern in the last pic, with a loop welded in. An approx 5m thin steel cable was run through it connecting the calthrops like a daisy chain.
    A highly mobile area denial system.

User

The linked daisy chain served a few purposes, it could be removed for friendly traffic, deployed quickly by pulling it across the road in an emergency.
    And most importantly not be left behind to be used by enemy forces against you later.

User

^ This. Anyone that thinks the SA taxi 'industry' is a force for good isn't concentrating. They deal exclusively in cash on which their is precious little evidence that they pay any tax, fight wars for territory and do succession management with hit squads. As far organised criminal networks go they are up there with the SAPS.
    Weigh bigger and more ruthless than Saps

User

The linked daisy chain served a few purposes, it could be removed for friendly traffic, deployed quickly by pulling it across the road in an emergency.
    And most importantly not be left behind to be used by enemy forces against you later.
    Aha! Hadn't seen that style. Smart idea.

User

The system the military use was in a storage box with a long rope. The stinger remain in the box and only get pulled when needed like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/jFc1oHUv3Ws

The version I recall we used had a detachable hollow spike. We used them at roadblocks around Zeerust. Pulled open with a rope, but I can’t remember how it packed away.

It’s an excellent way of closing a road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

The caltrop is an ancient invention and was used extensively by the Romans amongst others. The one in the picture above was an enhanced design for use against pneumatic tyres and was air dropped by the million into occupied Europe to disrupt road traffic

unless I have semigrated to the Western Cape.
    Please do that. You can help with our push to independence.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast