Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default .303 mold in flat point

I have been trying to find a mold in .303Brit -.314 flat point, its been about two years now and no luck! Were such molds ever made?
    The guys that hunt .303 lead cast, surely they do not use round or pointed bullets ?

Does anyone have any suggestions or answers to my dilemma?

Default Re: .303 mold in flat point

Your best bet will be Accurate Molds in the US. I say that because these days the only moulds "readily" available in SA are Lee. Plus the fact that many off the shelf 303Br moulds are undersize as I know from personal experience. You can rely on Lee and Lyman being undersize - they seem to thinks its another 30 cal. Can't say about RCBS because never tried one. CBE (Australia) is the other crowd whose moulds are the right size. I have on my desk the first test bullets cast from two CBE moulds that belonged to my late buddy Richard Bowman. They are exactly right in both diameters. They are 215 and 230 grain. But they are RN. I suspect that you won't find a 303 mould that casts the right diameter cheaply. Rather pay Accurate Molds price and get it right first time than pay good money for useless moulds. But why is flat point essential? Your mentioning 314 shows that you are aware of the substantial variance in 303 groove diameter and that most 303s are over-size. To size 314 you'll need to cast at least 315 but you won't get an off the shelf mould anywhere that will give you that. Richard Bowman's two moulds cast 316 if memory serves. Also, the pilot portion needs to cast 304-305. Although most 303 bores are not as much oversize as grooves, they are often 304 and casting 305 is a good idea. Fortunately the pilots can easily be polished out.

Banned

I wish to hunt with this rifle, a flat nose just kill x 999 x better. Round nose bullets are just not feasible.

Dick it just astounds me that 100 years later no one makes a shelf product .303 hunting cast bullet - - - is that even possible ?

Banned

User

Quote Originally Posted by treeman View Post
    I wish to hunt with this rifle, a flat nose just kill x 999 x better. Round nose bullets are just not feasible.

Dick it just astounds me that 100 years later no one makes a shelf product .303 hunting cast bullet - - - is that even possible ?
    I suspect that it's to do with where and by how many people they may be used. Hunting with handloaded ammo is a fairly fringe activity and using cast bullets is a fraction of that. Doing it with a 303 is a sliver of that again. There's only so much incentive for a manufacturer to set up production for what must be a relatively tiny market.

User

Also have a look at MP Molds. They are custom made and cost accordingly. They can make any diameter or shape, but their standard range is pretty comprehensive.

I suspect the primary reason for the RN moulds is to facilitate feeding from the mag. Even RN bullets have difficulty at times and need the mag lips tuned to get the bullet's tip aligned with the chamber. I guess a FN design would be even worse.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Also have a look at MP Molds. They are custom made and cost accordingly. They can make any diameter or shape, but their standard range is pretty comprehensive.

I suspect the primary reason for the RN moulds is to facilitate feeding from the mag. Even RN bullets have difficulty at times and need the mag lips tuned to get the bullet's tip aligned with the chamber. I guess a FN design would be even worse.
    Not sounding good for me, I see even they are out of stock - out of stock and out of stock.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

SAECO has a 175 gn flat nose.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    SAECO has a 175 gn flat nose.
    Will follow this as well.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Treeman, I thought the weed killer got you .
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast