Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Rossi misfires Badger ammo

I just got my license for a second hand .38 spl Rossi I bought from a dealer, I bought some badger ammo (they are factory reloads) for R500 went to the range had 5 misfires out of 10. Even when trying to fire in single action I still had misfires.

The range I was at ran all 5 of my misfired ammo in their revolver and they fired.

Returned to the store with 40, the store shot another 14 out of my gun and had another 5 misfires.

Since it’s a second hand gun they are saying it’s my gun that could be at fault and I need to try other ammo and if it has no issues they will refund me for the ammo. They do admit that the badger ammo has a hard primer.

I can’t find any .38 special ammo in Cape Town at the moment that I can afford.

Any idea what I should do? Take the gun back to the dealer I bought it from (it’s second hand so will they even help)? Fight the gun store for a refund so I can afford to buy other ammo?

Has anyone had issues with badger ammo?

I’m new to all of this so any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Rossi misfires Badger ammo

I’d venture a good cleaning is in order. Now I don’t know revolvers all that well but I figure that some drag on the hammer could affect its speed. Before you conclude that the gun is faulty, maybe have someone help you with that.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Banned

So it can be assumed that your weapon has a hammer that is not striking with sufficient force to ignite primer, or has a faulty hammer in some way.
    The dealer already knows this.

Banned

Please try some other ammunition first, and give the firearm a thorough cleaning? Someone at a club in CT should have a few .38Spl cartridges lying around. If it is only the ammo, you know there is nothing wrong with your rollie. If the rollie has the problem you will probably have to get it to a knowledgeable gun smith.

I have had trouble with soft strikes with my Taurus. It turned out to be hard primers, and once it twice primers were not seated deep enough.

User

What area are you in CT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    I’d venture a good cleaning is in order. Now I don’t know revolvers all that well but I figure that some drag on the hammer could affect its speed. Before you conclude that the gun is faulty, maybe have someone help you with that.
    100%. A friend of mine recently bought a 357 ruger which had been sitting in a safe for a few years. It was also misfiring. I advised him to clean the action properly and add some new lube before anything else. Dust sticks to dirt and grease and eventually hardens. After a good cleaning the problem was sorted.

User

Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    100%. A friend of mine recently bought a 357 ruger which had been sitting in a safe for a few years. It was also misfiring. I advised him to clean the action properly and add some new lube before anything else. Dust sticks to dirt and grease and eventually hardens. After a good cleaning the problem was sorted.
    X 2. Both of the last two old guns (1950's vintage) I bought had sat for a very long time unused. The firing pin in the Brno rifle was almost stuck fast and the hammer in the Hi Standard pistol wouldn't reliably latch on cycling. Both were 100% resolved with a clean and light lubing.

After miss fire. Did you check the primer to see how deep the firing pin strike was. This would show if its your firearm.

Rossi revolvers as I recall has the firing pin on the hammer and it swivels a little bit. Check if it looks in order and not broken and shorter.

Could also be dirt hindering the hammer from traveling at full speed forward. Sometimes people spray firearms with oil everywehere. This oil goes inside in mechanics and get like greasy when it dries causing issues. Not all parts need to be oiled.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Please try some other ammunition first, and give the firearm a thorough cleaning? Someone at a club in CT should have a few .38Spl cartridges lying around. If it is only the ammo, you know there is nothing wrong with your rollie. If the rollie has the problem you will probably have to get it to a knowledgeable gun smith.

I have had trouble with soft strikes with my Taurus. It turned out to be hard primers, and once it twice primers were not seated deep enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by gary-t View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    X 2. Both of the last two old guns (1950's vintage) I bought had sat for a very long time unused. The firing pin in the Brno rifle was almost stuck fast and the hammer in the Hi Standard pistol wouldn't reliably latch on cycling. Both were 100% resolved with a clean and light lubing.
    As I said, the dealer knows this if he is worth his title, they should have advised - offered this help and perhaps even to do the procedure. The weapon should fire any make of ammunition, if not,then what needs to be done needs to be done to make it work properly.
    I get the impression OP went back to dealer with the problem and got the shoulder shrug answer, no longer our problem.
    Just the feeling I got when reading post.

I have lost count of the number of weapons I have had that had hammers or firing pins held up by hardened grease.

After miss fire. Did you check the primer to see how deep the firing pin strike was. This would show if its your firearm.

Rossi revolvers as I recall has the firing pin on the hammer and it swivels a little bit. Check if it looks in order and not broken and shorter.

Could also be dirt hindering the hammer from traveling at full speed forward. Sometimes people spray firearms with oil everywehere. This oil goes inside in mechanics and get like greasy when it dries causing issues. Not all parts need to be oiled.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast