Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Rossi misfires Badger ammo

Thank you to everyone for the help and advice so far, I posted pictures of the misfired ammo and some of the firing pin.

The dealer I bought the ammo from did strip the gun and added some lube, before firing it again and it still had the misfires.

I'm not sure if the dealer I bought the gun from would help since it's second-hand (they do have a gunsmith on site), should I try them?

Quote Originally Posted by griffin View Post
    What area are you in CT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm in the Southern Suburbs.

Look at this pic.

Your firing pin is not straight. Does not appear that way on your pics

Attachment 34655

User

I have the same gun, mine has never had a light strike. The hammer hits hard and I have looked at getting a lighter hammer spring to lighten the D/A pull. The fired primers look really weak. Perhaps someone cut a coil of the hammer spring to lighten the pull? Or perhaps the reloads have Small rifle primers loaded.

I would advise a total stripdown and clean as well as another brand of ammo. If you search through the forum, you will find many issues related to factory reloads, so my bet is ammo related.

Hope you get it sorted, mine is areal lazer and I love it!

User

The primers look as though they had a light strike as the impact point is not decently pronounced or well defined.

The cleaning mentioned above by the shop may have eliminated some hammer drag due to dirt or old lube.

The problem may also be caused by the hammer spring being too weak.
    Insufficient strength due to age and use.

As per photos, the hammer mounted firing looks to be original and untouched so it would appear that it will protrude sufficiently through and impact the primer correctly. A good gunsmith would know best.

Use the same fired cases (as displayed above) and cycle (firing action) them a few times.
    With each cycle and impact the firing pin impact point should become more pronounced and deeper until the hammer reaches its stop point or blows through the primer.
    Ideally stop before when you see thst the hammer knocks deeper each time.
    Maybe take the cases,leave 1 as is then add 1,2,3 and 4 hammer blows to each case respectively.
    You can then see the progressive change to each fired case with an added blow.

Eliminate the issue of sufficient travel then solve the issue as being the hammer spring.

This will need replacement by a Gunsmith unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the correct spring.

A quick fix to test the spring temporarily is to stretch it slightly then refit and test the primer strike depth and impact pattern.
    Test with the same ammo as pictured and you then know as they will have the same primers.

Check for dirt or an obstruction on the hammer face and hammer stop point.
    Dirt or residue of sorts will minimise hammer travel distance.

Definitely try some other ammo.
    Cant say I have had good experiences with those reloads.

At R500 they are R50 a box more than a new box of S&B 38SPL Factory ammo was here in Gauteng this month. (Always amazed at how expensive CPT ammo is)

User

Is the mainspring on this revolver not adjustable? Check that first before you start stretching or replacing. If it is then usualy just done by turning a screw. In many cases adjustable springs are adjusted lighter to make trigger pull easier, but then causing light strike issues with harder primers.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast