Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Rossi misfires Badger ammo

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Murphy View Post
    Is the mainspring on this revolver not adjustable? Check that first before you start stretching or replacing. If it is then usualy just done by turning a screw. In many cases adjustable springs are adjusted lighter to make trigger pull easier, but then causing light strike issues with harder primers.
    I believe it has a coil spring, so don't think its adjustable.

User

Quote Originally Posted by tobie View Post
    I believe it has a coil spring, so don't think its adjustable.
    Remove the grips and make sure.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

User

Can't you 'adjust' a coil spring, at least a little, by putting a spacer in?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    The primers look as though they had a light strike as the impact point is not decently pronounced or well defined.

The cleaning mentioned above by the shop may have eliminated some hammer drag due to dirt or old lube.

The problem may also be caused by the hammer spring being too weak.
    Insufficient strength due to age and use.

As per photos, the hammer mounted firing looks to be original and untouched so it would appear that it will protrude sufficiently through and impact the primer correctly. A good gunsmith would know best.

Use the same fired cases (as displayed above) and cycle (firing action) them a few times.
    With each cycle and impact the firing pin impact point should become more pronounced and deeper until the hammer reaches its stop point or blows through the primer.
    Ideally stop before when you see thst the hammer knocks deeper each time.
    Maybe take the cases,leave 1 as is then add 1,2,3 and 4 hammer blows to each case respectively.
    You can then see the progressive change to each fired case with an added blow.

Eliminate the issue of sufficient travel then solve the issue as being the hammer spring.

This will need replacement by a Gunsmith unless you know exactly what you are doing and have the correct spring.

A quick fix to test the spring temporarily is to stretch it slightly then refit and test the primer strike depth and impact pattern.
    Test with the same ammo as pictured and you then know as they will have the same primers.

Check for dirt or an obstruction on the hammer face and hammer stop point.
    Dirt or residue of sorts will minimise hammer travel distance.
    Thank you for explanation, im not comfortable taking the spring out myself

Thank you again to everyone for the help and suggestions, I called 5 different gun stores today, I can't find any .38 special besides hollow points at safari outdoor for R790 for 20.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Th93 View Post
    Thank you again to everyone for the help and suggestions, I called 5 different gun stores today, I can't find any .38 special besides hollow points at safari outdoor for R790 for 20.
    By your 3rd packet of ammo you could easily be reloading on second hand equipment.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Yes you can. Not sure how that revolver is put together, the few I've seen the spring is normally held in by a screw, which can be adjusted out to lighten pull.
    That revolver looks, from the pictures to be fairly fluffy.
    Taking the grip panels off is not a stressful exercise, just have a look for fluff, gummy grease and clean and apply a little lube.

User

Where do you stay?I am sure that someone can help you with a few rounds

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    It may or may not be possible.

Layman's terms below in my understanding and experience with a thing or two. Maybe mumbo jumbo in others eyes...

Keep in mind that a coil spring has a limited "compression" length which is determined by the coil thickness, coil shape (ie. Round or flat) and the distance between centres of the coil.
    Some springs can take a full compression in that each coil touches and others not.
    Flat coil springs generally have more travel.
    Over compression damages some round type springs.

Older springs that have lost strength and essentially length so to say has also lost an effective travel distance in which it effectively works.
    The effective travel length and loss of strength in essence reduces the kinetic energy of the hammer in this case.

Anyone with an engineering perspective or background to correct the above or define the process in the right terminology...?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Th93 View Post
    I'm in the Southern Suburbs.
    I have plenty factory that you are welcome to try at the range. I’m often at False Bay and we could meet up there if you keen. I’ll have a brief look over the Rossi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast