Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Binoculars : Vortex Viper vs. Diamondback

Hi All,

I need some advise...

I am planning on investing in my first pair of binos, and I am leaning towards Vortex 10 x 42. My eyes are no longer what they used to be. Will be mostly used for hunting.

Is the price difference between the Viper and Diamondback is significant, is the difference really that big and noticeable in quality.

Is it worthwhile to safe up more for the Vipers, or should I just go with the Diamonds.

Thanks

Default Re: Binoculars : Vortex Viper vs. Diamondback

I’d like an answer to this as well.

I have the Viper HD 10x42. Having taken them on a birding weekend, I could see where they lagged behind the Zeiss and Swaro offerings of the other birders.

They have a slight hint of chromatic abberration, which is noticeable when you look at a bird against a cloudy sky. Very specific circumstances but very common when birding.

When hunting I have found no such issues, and they’re miles clearer than my Bushnell Excursion EX binos.

I like them. I do wonder how they’d compare against something like Nikon’s Monarch 7, for instance. I’ve always rated Nikon’s optics highly.

As for the Diamondback, I’d really like to know how they fare as a few of us were planning on buying a pair for a hunting buddy, thinking they’d be up to the task.

User

I would advise you to go and test the two. Also there is an extensive used market for optics with some real bargains to be had. I was preparing to drop silly money on a pair of Leicas, lifetime purchase and all of that. Anyway I couldn’t make up my mind and the trip was a just around the corner so I bought a pair of used Nikon 8 x 40 for R1400… I was very pleasantly surprised how they performed for birding and game viewing. Nikon +1

User

When I did research about binoculars I would go to Opticsplanet and compare reviews. Back then the Bushnell M or L was a good mid range model and they sold for about R8000. I never had the chance to hold one and I guess the info SkaapHaas posted won't be forthcoming but it is a good place to read reviews.

Banned

I have Vortex, Lynx, Burris, Tasco, Nico Stirling, Leopold and Nikon, the Vortex seems to beat the Nikon for my eyes and the Viper is noticeably better than the Diamond. The "better" is not what you will notice when standing at the shop door looking across the road. The better I refer to only becomes apparent under circumstances where you have one on each rifle, father - son kinda thing in bush when you battling with your scope to measure horns on a duiker in the shade and you try other rifle with other scope and you can suddenly see pretty clearly. As Skaapies mentioned one scenario, there are many such scenarios where you will find the more expensive scope to be better.

REALLY UNDERSTAND THIS -------- Buy the most expensive scope you think you will ever buy the first time, trust me on this.

I bought (back when I was still buying scopes) a R2000 scope, to replace it with a R3500 scope, only to use a R5000 Burris and then buy one for self. Then all the 2000 - 3000 scopes were replaced with R5000 - R8000 scopes and now I am happy. If I had bought a R6000 scope first time I would not have spent 2000 + 3000 + the final 6000 to get to my needs.
    Before you buy,use some friends scopes, in the bush, just look through his scope at animals under trees and far out in open, I do not know what brand it will be, but there will be a scope that just is your scope, your eyes buddy. I know now that Burris should have been my scope from day one, Burris design was made around someone with eyes like mine and my preferences.

Use other scopes - buy what hurts the most.

User

If it's of any use, I purchased the Vortex Diamondback HD's at the end of last year. As a comparison, I see them as equivalent to the Nikon Monarch 5 which I've used a extensively. The reason I went with the Diamondbacks was for the grippy exterior and Glasspak case specifically for hunting purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Logs View Post
    If it's of any use, I purchased the Vortex Diamondback HD's at the end of last year. As a comparison, I see them as equivalent to the Nikon Monarch 5 which I've used a extensively. The reason I went with the Diamondbacks was for the grippy exterior and Glasspak case specifically for hunting purposes.
    That’s pretty good, I think.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Thanks, I am busy reading reviews and doing some research in watching videos, etc.

I thought the rabbit hole for buying a scope was deep, I am thinking this one can go as deep....

User

FYI I went for the 8x42, I felt the 10x42 would be too bulky for long days on foot. I did approx 15-20km a day for 3 days on my last hunt and was content with the bulk/weight. For bird watching I'd opt for 10x42.

Banned

now that you mention this, yes I always notice and enjoy this feature on my Vortex scopes, they so easy to adjust. I have one scope that is really horrible in this aspect and I do believe its my Nikon, I will have to check - also has tiny little numerals.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast