Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 7mm PRC

User

Default 7mm PRC

So SAAMI just released the specifications for 7mm PRC, and I'm sure it going to wind some purists up, and have people like me quite excited.

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads...2022-06-16.pdf

They're showing 180gr at 2950fps.. If you've followed Eric Cortina, he has a fairly simple argument for accuracy. Get some sort of 284 (though he probably means suitable for F-Class like 7SAUM, or I think he shoots a 284 Shehane), get Lapua brass and get Berger bullets.

Oh man and I can't wait to see treeman's favourite YouTuber 'The Real Gunsmith' flannel santa shit on this one..

We live in exciting times!

Default Re: 7mm PRC

MPBR (assuming 4” circle) of 268m. It’s a lazer.

Although it will need a brake to tame the recoil, I think, otherwise it will punish you with every shot.

Cost of components will be the main issue for some time. I saw one comment on youtube that in the US they can’t get 6.5PRC ammo for under $3 a round. That’s tough if you need to buy ammo to get brass.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 27-06-2022 at 21:31.

User

Lapua seems to be on board with most of Hornady's designs, making brass for 6.5PRC and 300PRC, so I think they will probably be on this soon. I'm honestly surprised they have not started doing 6mm ARC brass yet.

I shot 32 rounds with my 300PRC this past weekend, and without a muzzle device it kicked the snot out of me, so no doubt the 7mm will probably be stout.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    Lapua seems to be on board with most of Hornady's designs, making brass for 6.5PRC and 300PRC, so I think they will probably be on this soon. I'm honestly surprised they have not started doing 6mm ARC brass yet.

I shot 32 rounds with my 300PRC this past weekend, and without a muzzle device it kicked the snot out of me, so no doubt the 7mm will probably be stout.
    Speaking of ARC, Lapua has confirmed they will make brass. It's in the pipeline supposedly they will as soon as they can sort out demand for current cases, after all 6ARC is easy as it's 99% a Grendel... Heck that is how I got all my ARC Brass, resized, trimmed and reannealed Starline (who coincidentally has also confirmed 6 ARC Brass in the future).

Now back to your regularly scheduled 7 PRC Content.

Saw this yesterday. But barrel life is estimated at 1500 shots.

So every shot you have to put a minimum of R10-00 aside for the new barrel purchase. If they cost R15,000 to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Saw this yesterday. But barrel life is estimated at 1500 shots.

So every shot you have to put a minimum of R10-00 aside for the new barrel purchase. If they cost R15,000 to replace.
    Yes, but if you don’t shoot it like a machine gun, I think you should get much more.. seems to me that our friends from the states like to shoot hot & fast..

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    ... If you've followed Eric Cortina, he has a fairly simple argument for accuracy.
    His advice applies to rifles that he shoots.

He shoots custom built precision rifles.

If you don't have that, and you're following his advice, you're just chasing your tail.
    War is convincing young people to kill complete strangers who are not a threat to them personally.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    His advice applies to rifles that he shoots.

He shoots custom built precision rifles.

If you don't have that, and you're following his advice, you're just chasing your tail.
    I don't think that is a fair argument - they took budget 6.5Creedmoor and started with simple mods and load development and tried to see what they could get out of it. That WHOLE series of videos has a lot of information in itself which is good solid advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Gertez View Post
    Yes, but if you don’t shoot it like a machine gun, I think you should get much more.. seems to me that our friends from the states like to shoot hot & fast..
    So what like 1800ish if you baby it? I hardly shoot often (some club or local events) and that still means a new barrel every 3 years. Pfft yeah no

Mdt did a harsh test on a 6.5 creed trying to melt the barrel. I suggest watching that. Barrel life didnt decrease as musch as you would think but 1000 plus rounds through in one session

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast