Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 51
  1. #1
    User
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    360

    Default 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    To fill the gap between my .22 and my go to 308, I need some info on these two calibers. It’s difficult to get fact based info especially on the creed. The main motivation is for my nieces and nephews to hunt with me, the push of the 308 even with its silencer intimidates the 8 and 10 year old.
    1.) is there a big difference in recoil between these two. I have shot the 243 but no experience with the creed.
    2.) Is barrel life a factor between these two?
    3.) any other calibers to consider given the main parameter being child friendly recoil
    I understand the creed may be more versatile but i do have the 308 as the all rounder. Which ever choice I end up with it will be suppressed as well.
    Any input and experiences will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    User
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    JHB
    Posts
    2,365

    Default Re: 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    I can't speak for barrel life, but my experience with 243 vs 6.5cm in terms of recoil is that 6.5cm is a small way below 308. Where I found 243 to feel a small amount less harsh of a recoil than the 6.5cm.

    Of course you also need to remember different guns will recoil differently just due to the stocks, weight, etc... so I don't think there really is a completely true unbiased opinion out there.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    Both are very heavy on barrel life.

    In my case I wanted something my Daughter aged at the time 12 to shoot with me on range that had little bit more oomf then the 22lr. So I initialy went and bought a CZ527 in 22Hornet. But that has just about less recoil then the 22lr. I did actually shoot a Ostrich with it n a hunt. Devastating head shot. Sold it.

    And then got the 222 Rem Sako 85 for her. To say accurate and nice to shoot is truly an understatement.

    Last Saturday at range at 100m Shot a 5 shot 1/4MOA group if not smaller. Just a single hole. YOu can just barely make out the rings on edges showing its more then one bullet impact. We then shot steel gongs at 200m, 300m and 350m. And it hit them boringly consistant.

    If I were you I would consider the 222Rem or the 223 if you want to go above 52grain bullets. As the 222 loves 52grain area weights.
    223 can go heavier. And alot of PRS guys seem to favor it or practicing with.

  4. #4
    Moderator Skaaphaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    18,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Both are very heavy on barrel life.

    In my case I wanted something my Daughter aged at the time 12 to shoot with me on range that had little bit more oomf then the 22lr. So I initialy went and bought a CZ527 in 22Hornet. But that has just about less recoil then the 22lr. I did actually shoot a Ostrich with it n a hunt. Devastating head shot. Sold it.

    And then got the 222 Rem Sako 85 for her. To say accurate and nice to shoot is truly an understatement.

    Last Saturday at range at 100m Shot a 5 shot 1/4MOA group if not smaller. Just a single hole. YOu can just barely make out the rings on edges showing its more then one bullet impact. We then shot steel gongs at 200m, 300m and 350m. And it hit them boringly consistant.

    If I were you I would consider the 222Rem or the 223 if you want to go above 52grain bullets. As the 222 loves 52grain area weights.
    223 can go heavier. And alot of PRS guys seem to favor it or practicing with.
    You can’t seriously advocate a .222 or .223 as a hunting rifle for youths.
    Not all who wander are lost.

  5. #5
    User
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Stella
    Age
    45
    Posts
    10,594

    Default Re: 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    Have you considered a 6.5 Grendell?

  6. #6
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    BFN Freestate
    Age
    43
    Posts
    11,745

    Default Re: 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel55 View Post
    1.) is there a big difference in recoil between these two. I have shot the 243 but no experience with the creed.
    2.) Is barrel life a factor between these two?
    The question is this, is barrel life a factor in a hunting rifle at all?
    The answer for most people would be no, not at all, I know generational 243’s in many families.
    You start doing a lot of range shooting, there goes your barrel.

    I would approach the subject this way, if I hunted mainly bushveld, the creed it would be, if I hunted mainly plains, the 243 it would be. Young folk are going to destroy meat at close range with a 243 in the bushveld, almost guaranteed, but vice versa the impact velocity on the plains with a 243 will probably be less than a creed at bushveld velocities.

    Select the terrain, select the animal target(size), aka make sure you have enough gun, and forget about recoil.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    You can’t seriously advocate a .222 or .223 as a hunting rifle for youths.
    Did not. in my post at all I believe.

    Then again when we hunted in Sutherland the Farmers there we went to hunt Springbuck with 222, 223 and 22-250.

    Then again in Merweville area the 3 farmers we hunt at. Wont allow you to shoot anything with a 243. Except Jackal.

  8. #8
    User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Age
    43
    Posts
    867

    Default Re: 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    Both will have similar barrel lifetime, 2000 rounds give or take. Both rifles fairly freely are available, brass/bullets/dies too. Factory ammo should be, but I only reload so cant guarantee.
    243 will have less recoil. From similar platforms, the difference will be small.
    243 will shoot lighter projectiles slightly faster. Most 243 factory rifles will shoot anything from 55gr to 100gr flat base bullets.
    6.5CM will shoot 107-150gr bullets

    As far as hunting goes, 243 works well for animals up to blesbok. 6.5 will work well for those same animals, and slightly larger.

    222/223/22-250 can definitely kill a springbok, but the 6mm/6.5mm are better-more energy, bigger hole, less wind drift.

  9. #9
    Moderator Skaaphaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Elsewhere
    Posts
    18,216

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    Did not. in my post at all I believe.

    Then again when we hunted in Sutherland the Farmers there we went to hunt Springbuck with 222, 223 and 22-250.

    Then again in Merweville area the 3 farmers we hunt at. Wont allow you to shoot anything with a 243. Except Jackal.
    Well his stated purpose was to get a hunting rifle. In your post you advised him to get a .222 or .223. How is this not advocating them for hunting?
    Not all who wander are lost.

  10. #10
    User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,647

    Default Re: 243 vs 6.5Creedmoor

    I've owned both a Creedmoor and 308 at the same time. While I like the Creedmoor, for hunting at normal distances, the differences between the calibres are insignificant. The recoil of the 6,5 Creedmoor was a little bit less than the 308, but not by much. You will not gain any significant capability one way or the other with both calibres in your safe.

    If you hunt in the bushveld, I think the 300 BLK is a decent option. Assuming the threading is the same, you can use the same suppressor. Recoil will be very manageable for kids. It should do very nicely for Impala/ blesbok sized game in the bushveld environment.

    The Ruger American Ranch comes in 300BL. Affordable rifles with great accuracy.

    Ps - I sold the 6,5 Creedmoor and kept the 308. I liked the 308 setup more than the Creedmoor setup. :)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •