Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I've told this story before but it's worth repeating. One of the best things to ever happen to me was a friend emigrating and giving me a old .22 Brno Mod1 1947. In 2016 my daughter came along on a hunt the first time. Decided after she wants to shoot an animal the next year. Well, I bought a brick of 500 S&B .22 ammo, and she sat at the range for quite a few weekends, starting at 25m, ending at 100m, shooting round after round. After that, I made her shoot about 100 x 130gr Impala's through the 3006 (only other rifle I had at the time). The weekend before her hunt, we bought one of those animal targets, I told her where I want her to aim, and gave her the exact round she was going to shoot (150gr Sako Hammerhead). She placed 3 rounds in the vitals to my satisfaction. The next weekend outside Kroonstad she shot a Blesbok at 112m perfectly in the engine room. She was 10 years old at the time. Two years later in 2019 we had the 6.5 CM, and she shot a Springbok ram in the neck at just over a 100m. I love that old .22 for the fundamentals it has taught her.
Absolutely agree with this. Very valuable training tool and still loads of fun to shoot. A relative also recently went on her first hunt. Started with the .22, then moved up to the 308. Sent links of where the vitals site etc Bought an impala and springbok target and put it up at 150m, post hunt she said that this was a huge confidence booster as she had a better idea of shot placement.