Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Quote Originally Posted by ror123 View Post
    Hi AJR,

If i may ask, what is biggest game you intend on taking with the 308?

Reason for my question, is that the bushveld (Limpopo) was extremely dense this year and I noticed some 308 guys struggling. Given that your budget size is fairly decent, i am sure there are nice options to fit the intended purpose.
    This type of post may confuse the OP and start putting doubt . Explain what you saw and how the "308 guys were struggling".

User

Default Re: Remington, CZ, Howa or Mauser

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    This type of post may confuse the OP and start putting doubt . Explain what you saw and how the "308 guys were struggling".
    Pretty much agreed,.what was not up to the task : the calibre ? or the guy behind the trigger ?

User

Hi ror123 -

The rifle is not for me. I drive a musgrave 7x64, but was asked opinion on the issue by a colleague. I found it an interesting question worth sharing.

I too have found the bush thick the past two seasons. But everybody struggles, not just .308?

For what its worth my own pick is the mauser, but the howa seems sensible in every respect. The remingtons seem to suffer in their bolt handles. The bergaras do look nice, but parts might become a problem somewhere down the line.

To all contributors, thankyou, it is appreciated. Food for thought!

User

Did the dense bush deflect their bullets?
    Then they would have been better off with canons..

This will deflect any bullet/calibre except 50BMG & up

Quote Originally Posted by ror123 View Post
    Hi AJR,

If i may ask, what is biggest game you intend on taking with the 308?

Reason for my question, is that the bushveld (Limpopo) was extremely dense this year and I noticed some 308 guys struggling. Given that your budget size is fairly decent, i am sure there are nice options to fit the intended purpose.
    I have shot just before Covid a Kudu Bull at 340m with 308 and 150grain Sako Super Hammerhead loaded with 42.5gr S335/ Was a Remington 700VSSF with 26" barrel.

The shot hit the Kudu on the left side. Went through a Rib bone. Past through the left lung. Upper 1/3 og heart. Through right side lung and bullet exited other side between two ribs.

When the shot hit I saw dust as I guess he jumped or plunged forward. But he was down and out within 5 metres of where I shot him.

If they struggled with 308. They had bad shot placements.

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    No intention of creating doubt, just wanted clarity on fit for purpose on the intended game? Maybe he wanted to hunt wild rabbits but the OP clarified the post in #33

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    I have shot just before Covid a Kudu Bull at 340m with 308 and 150grain Sako Super Hammerhead loaded with 42.5gr S335/ Was a Remington 700VSSF with 26" barrel.

The shot hit the Kudu on the left side. Went through a Rib bone. Past through the left lung. Upper 1/3 og heart. Through right side lung and bullet exited other side between two ribs.

When the shot hit I saw dust as I guess he jumped or plunged forward. But he was down and out within 5 metres of where I shot him.

If they struggled with 308. They had bad shot placements.
    Lekka man, 308w 26" barrel = short action with 30-06 speed. Agreed shot placement is key.

Limpopo was so dense and thick this year so a high probability on bullet deflection but i did witness a Federal 300gr(375 H&H) push right through brush and drop a BWB (not far like 60m, looked far though...)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4