Default Gong Gun Selection

Hi Guys.

Looking at getting a rifle to use for Gongs/Veldskiet, not hunting as I have other rifles for that purpose.

Two part questions;

Firstly Rifle selection:

On my shortlist:

Tikka T3x Super Varmint
    Sako Stainless Varmint
    Howa Varmint Hogue - Plan to add a GRS Berserk or Bifrost

Im not a big fan of the plastic finish of some of the Tikka parts and the stock doesn’t do it for me either but they are accurate and consistently so.

The Sako is very nice but also very expensive. In terms of build quality it ranks up there, only negative is the stock isn’t adjustable.

The Howa seems to be the best value even with a GRS stock added later on, I have heard though of some guns needing additional work with bedding etc to make them shoot like the Tikka‘s. Friends of mine have said in 10 years I won’t think I should’ve bought a Howa when there is a Sako in the safe, but it could also be a bit of snobbery I think.

I’ve never owned any of them so I’m not partial to any brand.

My heart is saying Sako, my Head is saying Tikka and my wallet is saying Howa.

Which rifle manufacturer would you suggest?

Secondly Cartridge;

Im set on a 243 Win based on what others have suggested for gongs/veldskiet using 87gr Hornady V Max, however I have been thinking of maybe going 6.5 Creedmoor and use lighter 90gr bullets, which could allow me to still use the rifle with heavier 140gr bullets if I ever want to go into more long range target shooting or even just normal hunting purposes.

Your views?

Thanks

User

Default Re: Gong Gun Selection

Quote Originally Posted by Umshwati Boy View Post
    Hi Guys.

Looking at getting a rifle to use for Gongs/Veldskiet, not hunting as I have other rifles for that purpose.

Two part questions;

Firstly Rifle selection:

On my shortlist:

Tikka T3x Super Varmint
    Sako Stainless Varmint
    Howa Varmint Hogue - Plan to add a GRS Berserk or Bifrost

Im not a big fan of the plastic finish of some of the Tikka parts and the stock doesn’t do it for me either but they are accurate and consistently so.

The Sako is very nice but also very expensive. In terms of build quality it ranks up there, only negative is the stock isn’t adjustable.

The Howa seems to be the best value even with a GRS stock added later on, I have heard though of some guns needing additional work with bedding etc to make them shoot like the Tikka‘s. Friends of mine have said in 10 years I won’t think I should’ve bought a Howa when there is a Sako in the safe, but it could also be a bit of snobbery I think.

I’ve never owned any of them so I’m not partial to any brand.

My heart is saying Sako, my Head is saying Tikka and my wallet is saying Howa.

Which rifle manufacturer would you suggest?

Secondly Cartridge;

Im set on a 243 Win based on what others have suggested for gongs/veldskiet using 87gr Hornady V Max, however I have been thinking of maybe going 6.5 Creedmoor and use lighter 90gr bullets, which could allow me to still use the rifle with heavier 140gr bullets if I ever want to go into more long range target shooting or even just normal hunting purposes.

Your views?

Thanks
    Remember to consider barrel life. The application you are intending to use it for means higher round count than your average hunting rifle. The 6.5cr is probably the best as a general steel or target shooting rifle. The Howa 1500 in a GRS stock will be a excellent option. Discard the idea of using 90gr bullets in the 6.5cr the extra speed is going to kill your barrel life even more. 140gr at 2750fps will work well even out to 1000m if your skill level is up to it. Money for good glass is a must, don't skimp on a good scope.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

I went with SAKO and ordered a GRS Hybrid stock for mine.

I previously bought a Sako 85 in 222. And the build quality is amazing on them.

Also the triggers on them as well as the Tikka is amazing. The Sako you can adjust 2 to 4 pounds. By replacing a small trigger spring with a ball point pen spring or ordering the Yo Dave one for $10-00. You can get the spring to below 1 pound and up to 2 pounds, Meaning you have 2 to 4 pound trigger or sub 1 pound to 2 pound. As its easily adjustable without taking rifle apart.

Irrespective of the weight of trigger. The triggers on the Sako is amazing. You will with any other make have to go Timney or Bix n Andy to get the same which is very expensive.

I went with 308. As its easy to shoot accurate. Been loading 308 for +20 years now.

And yes the 6.5 is the current hype. But at least I will get easy 3 to 4 times the barrel life if not more.

Bisley shooters have been and still now shoot the 308 out to 1000m. So its well capable of range.

User

I thought the 22-250 was all the rage for veldskiet?

User

It depends on how seriously you intend competing in the Gong/Veldskiet circuit.

If you are only going to shoot to learn the ropes and have a good time, a 308 or 223 (with fast twist preferably) should do the trick and keep costs in check. These also suffer a little more in a crosswind, so your wind reading skills will definitely improve.

20 years ago the 243W (and -AI) was all the rage in the Veldskiet competitions. And yes, 87 V-max was the bullet of choice. Berger 88gn was also used. With that combo, you are likely to replace the barrel after 1500 - 2000 shots. This makes the 243 rather expensive to maintain on the long run.

A trend that emerged in recent years was the 22-250 with a fast twist barrel loaded with heavy (75 - 80 gn) bullets. This combo shoots flatter than the 243/87 V-max and the barrel last longer. Replacement is needed at around 3000 rounds. (Verified by top shooters, not just my opinion.) Recoil is also less and you use less powder, so this is a good option. Only problem is, factory rifles are not readily available, a custom rifle is most likely the way to go.

I have seen shooters do well with other 6mm cartridges, like 6BR, 6mm Dasher ("improved" 6BR) and 6XC. None are factory options, and they don't beat the 22-250 with heavy bullets.

Various 6,5mm cartridges have made the rounds. They are all good, but running cost and recoil exceeds that of the smaller calibers. Being able to see your bullet impacts on the targets becomes more difficult, the larger the calibre becomes.

Long ago some shooters used the 25-06 loaded with light (87gn) bullets pushed to 3600fps. Pretty impressive, but they are barrel eaters. Recoil is also significant.

Some of the associations have a 222/223 only class. This would be very affordable to shoot. A Tikka or Howa 223 Varmint rifle with 1:8" twist should be perfect here. Even a 1:12" twist barrelled rifle would do well if the wind plays along.

Gong/Veldskiet ranges are actually just a spot in the field where targets are set up and shooting positions are usually not very comfy. That is part of the challenge and fun. These shooting conditions can cause your rifle to be scratched and bumped regularly. I would not want to damage an expensive rifle like a Sako in these conditions. Synthetic stocks are usually ugly to begin with, so a few scratches will not make much of a difference.

My advice would be to go to a fairly affordable rifle in an economical caliber and get in the game. With experience you will be able to choose a rifle and caliber combo that suits your needs, taste and budget.

Thanks for the responses.

Im not looking to compete week in week out, as my time is generally very limited with work and a young family, so mostly just to have fun and improve my shooting ability.

I did contemplate a 22-250 but the custom barrel route put me off the idea as the factory 1:8 or 1:9“ twists aren’t readily available.

So think the Howa in 243 will probably be the most cost effective to get into it initially.

Thanks again.

I can't imagine any reason to choose a .243 over a modern cartridge such as a 6.5 CM or 6mm Dasher. 6.5 or 6mm is future proof and almost specifically designed for this kind of shooting.
    Also, I had a close look at a GRS Berserk and discovered that it has no aluminium bedding block. This was a deal breaker for me. I bought an Oryx and an XRS instead which are monolithic aluminium. I think that the best value for money stocks are the locally manufactured things such as the Aim Alpha, Gun Warrior and Venatics Phantom X.