Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default what firing action do u like and why?

hi again.

What do u guys prefer?

Single action only, double action only (DAO), single/double, Precocked Glock style? and do u prefer spurred, bobbed, shrouded, internal (Glock) or what?

personally i think there is alot to be said for and against, what do u guys believe in, why do u believe in that and how do u carry that specific firing mechanism?

and do u prefer manual or passive safeties? and what veriety?

User

Default Re: what firing action do u like and why?

Personally I prefer striker fired pistols with a short light consistent trigger pull. I am a member of the grab handle pull trigger school of thought I dont want to have to engage any levers or buttons to make my gun in bang. BUT I am a beliver in picking a system and using similar actions for as much as possible DA/SA or SAO or even a revolver can all be effective tools with the right operator. I would advise against chopping and changing as this will most likely make you less effective.

I prefer the Glock system as it is constant from first to last shot and no safeties to fiddle with...just point and pull the trigger. Nothing wrong with a DA/SA but that first DA shot just does not work for me...don't like it (yes i own a Vektor in this setup and if need be, I'll do it and use it). Only thing with a DA/SA is that I do not engage the safety in DA mode as this just add another action to take care of under stress. On SA only, the only way is to go Cocked & Locked...there is just no other way

Quote Originally Posted by BigT
    Personally I prefer striker fired pistols with a short light consistent trigger pull. I am a member of the grab handle pull trigger school of thought I dont want to have to engage any levers or buttons to make my gun in bang. BUT I am a beliver in picking a system and using similar actions for as much as possible DA/SA or SAO or even a revolver can all be effective tools with the right operator. I would advise against chopping and changing as this will most likely make you less effective.
    +1
    The Glock system works for me. I like the trigger. The "secret" is the reset. Once you've got that down, it's easy to shoot. Pick a system and stick with it. Having said that, I think there is merit in at least knowing how to operate all systems. After all, it's the operator, not the tool.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

To quote Deniro: "Its a toolbox."

I like the Glock system as I like a positive reset. One should experience all types and fire as many different guns as you can so as to increase your generall knowledge and skill at arms.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    One should experience all types and fire as many different guns as you can so as to increase your generall knowledge and skill at arms.
    +10

I used to shoot IDPA SSP with a USPc, DA/SA. With the slightest bit of adrenaline pumping, I'd hardly notice the difference between first (DA) and second (SA) shots. As time progressed, I picked up a G17 for SSP since the USPc is my carry piece and I wanted to "save" it a bit.

I like the Glock setup a lot, but feel no less adequate with a DA/SA pistol. I often carry my USP cocked and locked as well. I switch between guns for IDPA shoots on a regular basis and never really found any issues due to confusion, but then again, I am ridiculously clever (he he, just kidding). Its as if your brain immediately knows what to do once it feels the gun in hand, irrespective of design.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, I agree with one system training, but I prefer knowing multiple systems, and knowing them well.

BLA!!

I agree. But, only if you have mastered fundamentals of handgun shooting. I've seen plenty of people bring their revolvers and pistols to the range, only to find that they're equally crap with both. If they stuck to one and learnt how to shoot properly first, then they could confidently move on to other systems. Just my opinion.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Lever's.....No Levers....Manual Safeties....Revolvers.....

If you own it, shoot it and be comfortable with it......

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    I agree. But, only if you have mastered fundamentals of handgun shooting. I've seen plenty of people bring their revolvers and pistols to the range, only to find that they're equally crap with both. If they stuck to one and learnt how to shoot properly first, then they could confidently move on to other systems. Just my opinion.
    +1

Rather be average with one than a retard with all.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    +1

Rather be average with one than a retard with all.
    Agreed, but why not be at least average with all? IMHO, if you can shoot one pistol relatively good, you'll most probably be able to shoot most pistols relatively good. The trick comes in with stuff like mag releases and safeties. If you know the more complex systems, guns like Glock should be a walk in the park.

After shooting SA for a while, I tend to disengage an imaginary safety on my Glock as well. In my opinion, a good habit.

BLA!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast