Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Wells View Post
    aren't all 6xx models stainless?
    Yes…

User

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    The finish in the photos doesn't look like a factory finish hence why the impact points are covered over.

It appears to be a ceracote (or guncote) finish which differs from the factory finish that would be blued would it not?
    As pointed out in the previous posts above, it should be stainless and not a blued finish as new.

Default Re: New s&w 629 with damaged crown

Thanks for all the comments guys. I totally hear you all about getting pissed about a new gun having these issues (it apparently is new according to S&O having got it straight from the importer) but in SA what does one practically do in this situation? I am thinking of blasting some rounds through it this weekend and seeing what kind of group I get. If it's accurate I think I will have to just accept it. With regards to the finish, it is definitely stainless (see attached pic) I think the photo looked weird because of the macro setting as well as the bead blasted finish they put on the top strap/top of barrel as well as the muzzle
    Attached Images Attached Images

In all other aspects I think this revolver is just fantastic. One of the best triggers I think I have ever felt, super tight lockup and the fit and finish is outstanding. I think with our licensing process, if it is accurate, I am a happy camper!

User

Stunning revolver. Enjoy it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Webleyiv View Post
    Thanks for all the comments guys. I totally hear you all about getting pissed about a new gun having these issues (it apparently is new according to S&O having got it straight from the importer) but in SA what does one practically do in this situation? I am thinking of blasting some rounds through it this weekend and seeing what kind of group I get. If it's accurate I think I will have to just accept it. With regards to the finish, it is definitely stainless (see attached pic) I think the photo looked weird because of the macro setting as well as the bead blasted finish they put on the top strap/top of barrel as well as the muzzle
    That pic makes me weak at the knees. Beautiful thing. Happy blasting. Me, I'd have a wine and a moan in the hope of getting a voucher or something out of it even if it doesn't get fixed. They didn't donate you the gun and it didn't leave the factory like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire-stick View Post
    If it is brand new, the rifling appears (as per photos) to have copper on the rifling...? More than a factory test fire.

Factory testing would not be that evident.

If new to you and its a refurbished second hand and the FA is otherwise fine, see the marks as character and enjoy shooting it.
    Not sure how many rounds S&W fire at the factory, but both my brand new S&W revolvers that came straight from agents Nicolas Yale to my dealer (I was there when one arrived) had a small amount of visible copper on the rifling from the factory.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    That pic makes me weak at the knees. Beautiful thing. Happy blasting. Me, I'd have a wine and a moan in the hope of getting a voucher or something out of it even if it doesn't get fixed. They didn't donate you the gun and it didn't leave the factory like that.
    How do you now that? I bet 5c it actually did.

This is not uncommon. I have seen it before, even on other premium makes. That includes the dings and the copper fouling. At least you know they shot it before sending it to you.

Yes, considering the price these toys cost nowadays, one would expect much better.

Having the importers send it back to the factory is probably not viable. The cost and paperwork, export/re-import etc. will not be worth it.

If it does not actually shoot as well as it should, you could find a gunsmith who is intimately familiar with revolvers, and there are not many of those around, and have him re-cut the crown. Maybe you could ask the importers to have this done, but as I said, only if you can prove that accuracy is actually affected.

If I had to have the crown re-cut, I would not unscrew the barrel and clamp it in a lathe, as one would do with a rifle, but rather get one of those handheld crown cutting tools that use a mandrel to center it in the bore. You could cut a 11 degree crown and just cut it deep enough to remove the ding close top the bore.

I have also seen crowns cut or cleaned up using a chamfering tool. Just a very shallow (0,5mm) deep cut should do the trick without being visible if you don't look closely.

But as I said, shoot it first.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Obviously I don't know for a fact that it did but it would take a supremely negligent inspector to miss it.

*Edit* bottom line for me is that the revolver is a high end luxury good not unlike a sports car and came with an obvious defect. Having a poke at the retailer to see what could come back wouldn't take much effort and may result in some recompense.

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post

This is not uncommon. I have seen it before, even on other premium makes. That includes the dings and the copper fouling. At least you know they shot it before sending it to you.

Yes, considering the price these toys cost nowadays, one would expect much better.

Having the importers send it back to the factory is probably not viable. The cost and paperwork, export/re-import etc. will not be worth it.

If it does not actually shoot as well as it should, you could find a gunsmith who is intimately familiar with revolvers, and there are not many of those around, and have him re-cut the crown. Maybe you could ask the importers to have this done, but as I said, only if you can prove that accuracy is actually affected.

If I had to have the crown re-cut, I would not unscrew the barrel and clamp it in a lathe, as one would do with a rifle, but rather get one of those handheld crown cutting tools that use a mandrel to center it in the bore. You could cut a 11 degree crown and just cut it deep enough to remove the ding close top the bore.

I have also seen crowns cut or cleaned up using a chamfering tool. Just a very shallow (0,5mm) deep cut should do the trick without being visible if you don't look closely.

But as I said, shoot it first.
    This is really great advice A-R, thank you. I did send some pics and so on to S&O today and they were very helpful. They forwarded my email to the importer (which I assume is Nic Yale) and they quickly said it was a factory defect as they bead blasted finish was over the little dents. They wanted me to courier it back. I reckon I am going to go ahead and blast through some ammo on Saturday and if it shoots accurately I will be totally satisfied. I did some reading on the crown cutting tools you mention, Brownells offer some nifty tools to do this. If it shoots kak then I reckon this is all I will need.

I must also note that those dents are deliberately enhanced with the macro photo mode and the huge torch I used for the shot. In reality these little dents are hardly noticeable.

Gents thanks for all the compliments, this has been a dream gun of mine for some time. When I saw it on their website I knew I had to buy it straight away and explain to the wife later.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast