Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default NRL, PRS, Long range

Hi,

I want to have a go at trying long range shooting. I am used to bushveld shooting and the only long range shooting I do is 100m in the road, nothing more. I have a 30-06 and a 375.
    Any suggestions or opinions on other calibers to use? Like the 6 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, 6mm, 6dasher, 6.5 prc, 300prc, 300wsm?

Want to start planning a budget, because I always need an excuse to buy a new gun.

Looking forward to your guys input.
    Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: NRL, PRS, Long range

Excellent.. Following this....

Sent from my PPA-LX2 using Tapatalk

User

Most NRL and PRS competitions are currently being dominated by a 6mm cartridge of sorts.
    Those being 6mm Creedmoor, 6Dasher, 6GT, 6x47 etc. Reason being that the guys want to spot their own bullet trace, so recoil is a factor when shooting from props.
    If you can launch a 105gr-class 6mm bullet at 2860 - 2960fps, you're good to go in my opinion.
    Personally, I'd go for a custom built 6GT if I was getting into those types of competitions.

User

You could do the NRL Hunter with a 3006, as long as you have a variable scope.

Internationally everyone for PRS is moving towards some sort of 6mm. One of my best friends just had a 6XC built with a Proof carbon barrel and I know Warren from Gunwarrior had a custom 6x47 built. If you're starting out, buy a 6mm Creedmoor Howa and shoot the barrel moertoe, then see if it's still for you. Plenty of matches in SA, but with the cost of fuel, powder and bullets, it gets expensive to attend.

How far is 'long range' for you. 1 mile, just buy a Howa in 300PRC. 2 miles, open your c/card

User

Watching a couple of my mates firehosing money on this pursuit it's an itch I will not even begin to think about scratching.

User

Quote Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
    You could do the NRL Hunter with a 3006, as long as you have a variable scope.

Internationally everyone for PRS is moving towards some sort of 6mm. One of my best friends just had a 6XC built with a Proof carbon barrel and I know Warren from Gunwarrior had a custom 6x47 built. If you're starting out, buy a 6mm Creedmoor Howa and shoot the barrel moertoe, then see if it's still for you. Plenty of matches in SA, but with the cost of fuel, powder and bullets, it gets expensive to attend.

How far is 'long range' for you. 1 mile, just buy a Howa in 300PRC. 2 miles, open your c/card
    Take this advice.
    He may not be pretty, but he does know a thing about pewing at longer range.

If you mean long range competition, just be aware of the costs involved. If your budget for your competition rig is R90K, make sure that you have an extra 90K for all of the goodies and reloading gear that you need to be competitive.
    If you just want to go to a farm or a good range and shoot gongs at 800M or whatever, you can get away with a rig that costs less than 50K and you'll be able to have a lot of fun with this.
    Also, if you can afford the ammo, be aware that barrel life varies greatly. Shooting hot loads of 6mm Dasher might result in a practical barrel life of 1500 rounds. You can have a lot of fun shooting to 600M and further with a .308 that has a practical barrel life of over 6000 rounds.

Thanks to everyone that made a contribution. Time to start the research project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Following.

Also would like to try long Range. But for the moment ignorance and bankruptcy is holding me back.

User

Starting out ... 6.5 Creed will do ok in all of these.

NRL is moving towards a Hunter class where you basically need a 6.5

PRS I would agree is 6mm unless you want to shoot 308 or 223 in that specific class

Long range is ill defined but for truely competing you would need a larger case and high BC bullets

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast