Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Re: NRL, PRS, Long range

Whatever you choose in the end of the day, if you have a budget like most normal people, phone around, ask and search for a decent used rifle. There are gents that for instance "pimp" a 6.5 CM, use it a bit, then decide that they would rather try something else for some reason. Nothing wrong with their gun, they just want to try something else and then sell the used one to fund the new one at a reasonable price.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    Long range is ill defined but for truely competing you would need a larger case and high BC bullets
    I did a quick calculation. At the Send-IT ELR match I was invited to (there is a full trip report), the max shots were 2200m. I did a quick tallying of the most popular cartridges:

338 Lapua (including improved / aftermarket barrels etc) - 15
    300 Norma / Norma Improved etc - 8
    375 Cheytac - 5
    300 PRC / Winmag / Sherman (these don't use magnum bolt-face hence separating them from 300 Norma) - 6
    There was 1 x 6.5CM, 1 x 7 RSAUM, 2 x 8 Buzz (some wildcat I can't find any info on).

When you start playing in the 338LM and upwards game, shit gets exponentially more expensive.

Probably stupid questions for most of you...

Can a 308 do 1km shots?
    Reason im asking is because i see many cheap 308's for sale... 10k to 15k... another 10k for the scope... and i wish i can be up and running..

The thing is i dont want to (rather i cannot afford to) buy a 338 or some other super caliber and know nothing about long range shooting e.i. +-1km. So my plan goes like this.... I get a cheap 308 and a decent scope for less than 30k, start practicing, learn the game and then if i win the lotto and i enjoy the long range then i can make a well informed decision and buy myself a 338...

Now i just hope my day dream can actually turn real and i can get everything for 30k or less and smoke a target thats a kilometer away from me!

Advice and opinions welcome!
    N.B I've never shot further than 200m and im absolutely ignorant when it comes to long Range shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by KM02 View Post

Can a 308 do 1km shots?
    .308 to 1,100 Yards (1 Km)

User

Can a 308 do 1km shots?
    Reason im asking is because i see many cheap 308's for sale... 10k to 15k... another 10k for the scope... and i wish i can be up and running..
    There is no such thing as a stupid question, that's why this forum exists.

Can a 308 do 1km, of course. Just Google F-class FTR. For plinking, general shooting, just find a bullets that you like, can afford and has a good bc, then build accordingly. I suggest reading about Berger's 200.20X bullet. https://bergerbullets.com/200-20x-perfect-bullet-f-tr/

In your budget, my first choice would be the 6.5PRC though. The Howa's are under 15k last time I looked, and you get to take advantage of the high BC 6.5mm bullets like Hornady 147hr ELD-M and Berger 153.5gr Hybrid Target. Add a decent scope and it will reach out beyond 1km easily.

Can a 308 do 1km shots?

The thing is i dont want to (rather i cannot afford to) buy a 338 or some other super caliber and know nothing about long range shooting e.i. +-1km. So my plan goes like this.... I get a cheap 308 and a decent scope for less than 30k, start practicing, learn the game and then if i win the lotto and i enjoy the long range then i can make a well informed decision and buy myself a 338...

Now i just hope my day dream can actually turn real and i can get everything for 30k or less and smoke a target thats a kilometer away from me.

Not only is .338 unaffordable for most, it's also less fun for most. There is much more recoil, each shot matters when the ammo is so expensive and each time there is user error, it's frustrating because you probably won't see the trace an and it's expensive.

I love a 308 and I have two 308s set up for long range. The load details are crucial at distances beyond 600M but with the right load and a good barrel, you can absolutely reach 1Km. Here are some things to consider:
    If you want to shoot the higher BC bullets, you need the tighter twist rate and the cheaper rifles normally have the 1:12. One is not inherently worse than the other but if you want to stretch her legs, you'll want a 190gr projectile and you want a tighter twist to stabilise the longer bullet. Then, if you want to shoot at any distance, you'll have to throw the rubber stock that a rifle comes with into the garbage, where it belongs. A monolithic aluminium chassis is the way to go. It stabilises the entire platform and makes no contact with the barrel under any circumstances. Also, if you just go and buy a cheap Howa or Rem 700, you'll need the following: bipod, scope rail, scope rings, chassis, scope, muzzle device and maybe a tactical style bolt knob. Of you buy these things new, you're looking at about 45 to 50k for cheaper things. If you want a nice scope and 34mm rings, that price jumps to 60k total. My advice is to get a used rifle and used accessories, if possible. It leaves some money behind for ammo and a bag and ammo cases and dies and a cleaning kit and the list never ends. It's a black hole. You are welcome to send me a PM and I'll show you some things in more detail.

User

As said, 1km with a 308 is possible but a 6.5 would be so much easier without careful bullet selection.

A 147gr ELD-M has a G7 BC of 0.321 (in my rifle) and currently I shoot a pointed 156gr Berger with a G7 BC of 0.36.

Look at the BC of the 308 bullets and you see you need to move to real heavy bullets to get the BC to compare with 6.5 offerings and BC is king when doing long range.

6.5 PRC is the new craze but gives really good performance. I shoot a 260AI and I am happy but also have a 338LM. The 338 is a lot more gun and takes some shooting to get use to, although mine recoils less than my 30-06.

You often get the Howa 6.5 Creed with a heavy barrel for great deals and I would seriously consider this.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    As said, 1km with a 308 is possible but a 6.5 would be so much easier without careful bullet selection.

A 147gr ELD-M has a G7 BC of 0.321 (in my rifle) and currently I shoot a pointed 156gr Berger with a G7 BC of 0.36.

Look at the BC of the 308 bullets and you see you need to move to real heavy bullets to get the BC to compare with 6.5 offerings and BC is king when doing long range.

6.5 PRC is the new craze but gives really good performance. I shoot a 260AI and I am happy but also have a 338LM. The 338 is a lot more gun and takes some shooting to get use to, although mine recoils less than my 30-06.

You often get the Howa 6.5 Creed with a heavy barrel for great deals and I would seriously consider this.

Generally what is the barrel life of 6.5s compared to a .308?

User

Depending on how it is used, I would say the 6.5CM have about half or less the barrel life of a 308

User

Please explain to me what practical use a "tactical style bolt knob" has.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast