Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: NPO and GOSA

Default NPO and GOSA

Anyone have an unbiased opinion on the gosa SAGA?

People seem to now be confused at the lack or transparency, highlighted early days.

On the one side I have no issue with an NPO paying an even above average wage.
    On the other side.... How has this organisation benefited the community?

Now I know this is going to have a lot of kneejerk....

A non profit is meant to benefit the community. (Broad term).

User

Default Re: NPO and GOSA

Official Media Statement from GOSA:

Media Statement:
    Zaahir Manuel (Zaahir) and Tshepi Mmekwa (Tshepi) have been removed as directors of GOSA.

The background to their removal is as follows: Paul Oxley (Paul) is and has been the CEO of GOSA since 2014.

It is undisputed that under his leadership GOSA has grown from being a virtually unknown fringe organisation with practically no members to one of the most prominent organizations promoting the interests of responsible firearm ownership with, in excess of one hundred thousand members. Tshepi was appointed to the board of GOSA from June 2021 with the intention that she would be mentored to eventually become the successor CEO. In this role she performed certain leadership related functions.

Pending her eventual appointment as CEO she was paid a monthly fee. She was also engaged in her own right in other ventures that we have been informed appear to have encountered adverse trading conditions. On 23 June 2022 Tshepi and Zaahir called a meeting of directors ostensibly in response to a request by the CEO for a financial strategy meeting. In fact, the meeting was convened for the purpose giving the CEO notice that they intended to remove him as a director of GOSA. The meeting was terminated before any resolution was passed.

Tshepi and Zaahir then attempted to take unilateral control of the GOSA bank account. GOSA however succeeded in preventing this. Tshepi and Zaahir subsequently purported to try to pass a resolution empowering attorney
    Michael Herbst to act on behalf of both themselves and GOSA.

However, the GOSA Memorandum of Incorporation requires three directors to establish a quorum and it was therefore not legally possible for them to pass such a resolution. They allegedly also unlawfully instructed the GOSA employees to remove themselves from their place of employment. In short, they attempted to unlawfully and in a hostile manner take control of GOSA and its bank account.

The GOSA Memorandum of Incorporation entitles the current CEO, acting under the provisions of Section 66 (4) of the Companies Act 2008, to directly appoint and remove directors from the board of GOSA. Given the attempt by Tshepi and Zaahir so seize control of GOSA and to cause the employees to abandon their workplace, there was no alternative but to remove them as directors and appoint other directors on an interim basis. This was then done.

Tshepi and Zaahir allege financial irregularities within GOSA. However, despite repeated requests to their attorney, no evidence of any irregularities has ever been produced. They have commenced court proceedings requesting the court inter alia, to order their reinstatement. However, while broad allegations of a vague and general nature have been made, their court papers contain no evidence of any specific financial irregularities within GOSA. Notice has been given to oppose their court application. GOSA has appointed an attorney to confirm whether there have been any financial irregularities at all in GOSA.

Tshepi has abandoned her functions as CEO in training and has refused to attend at the GOSA offices to carry out same, despite repeated requests to do so. She has nevertheless demanded ongoing payment of her monthly fee. GOSA has instructed its attorneys to commence preparations for a defamation claim against Tshepi and Zaahir.
    In the meantime, GOSA continues to function fully and normally and to provide all services to its members and the broader public as they have always done in the past.

Larry Marks

Non-Executive Director

15 July 2022.

Normally I go... Stupid prizes.

This time it hurts the community. In fact. It has been a negative so the sooner this moves to a paperweight the better.

Banned

Thanks to Paul for keeping things running!

User

I am going for the wait and see approach here. I have interacted with all three people involved to varying degrees on a personal level but not enough to actually know them. So no opinion from me on who might be right and who might be wrong. I just hope everything gets sorted out asap and without fallout that will be detrimental to our gun rights fight.
    Lynette and the Girls on Fire side of things have been where my money has gone in the last couple of years and that will not change.

Do not judge brothers but rejoice for with the departure of the wicked so stronger grow the honest and just

User

There's a copy of the motion lodged by the complainant(s) in circulation. It's quite enlightening, and based on my interactions with the organisation and with some of the individuals involved, I am not surprised at the contents. Controversy has followed some of the individuals for a few years if one has been paying attention. I have heard all sorts of mutterings for a long time and maybe some chickens are now coming home to roost.

I can't work out how to post the pdf document but if someone can tell me how, I will gladly do so.

..... and I'll gladly post the pdf of the official GOSA press release as well, to give exposure to both sides.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BBCT View Post
    There's a copy of the motion lodged by the complainant(s) in circulation. It's quite enlightening, and based on my interactions with the organisation and with some of the individuals involved, I am not surprised at the contents. Controversy has followed some of the individuals for a few years if one has been paying attention. I have heard all sorts of mutterings for a long time and maybe some chickens are now coming home to roost.

I can't work out how to post the pdf document but if someone can tell me how, I will gladly do so.

..... and I'll gladly post the pdf of the official GOSA press release as well, to give exposure to both sides.
    Take a screen shot of the the pdf and post it here

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Take a screen shot of the the pdf and post it here
    It's about 100 pages

Statement from Paul Oxley on Facebook

Time for me to have my say.

I will say this and then close comments before we all do further damage.

It's interesting (but disappointing) to see how the worms creep out of the woodwork.

How the inspiration, imagination, risk-taking, leadership, and immensely hard work of the last decade can be torn down by those who have never created anything, risked anything, or worked for anything.

GOSA today is the professional and resouced organisation it is because of inspiration, imagination, risk-taking, leadership and hard work. It is fully functional and ticking away as I write this... completely Independent of the current turmoil created by a couple of rogue non-executive directors who tried and failed to execute a hostile takeover by stealth.

That they attempted this should perhaps be a clue to the value of the organisation.

That they failed and were left to try to tear down the organisation should tell you how desperate they are.

That the malcontents and naysayers are now shouting the odds based on unsubstantiated accusations tells you all you need to know about their character and reasoning abilities.

When we set about reshaping GOSA in 2013, 2014, and 2015 we said we would have to monetise in order to professionalise. That is exactly what we did. We created a paying membership base from 2016. Employed professional staff as we could afford to. Benchmarked salaries were always necessary to attract and retain the required talent.

Volunteers are great and we love the many people who do provide volunteer services, but you need a paid base that can be built upon. We realised this and created that base.

As far as executive remuneration is concerned, that too was benchmarked, and approved by independent Exco and board members (mostly the ones that are now howling the loudest). What isn't told is that particularly my own remuneration (invoiced in the name of my own company, Tac SHAC) is generally paid late, and sometimes not at all, depending on whether the organisation can afford it at the time... despite payments being approved by said Exco and board members. Expenses such as telephone, Internet and travel costs can go unpaid to Tac SHAC for six months or more. The organiser's fee for the hugely successful Girls On Fire programme is also approved by the Exco and board members mentioned above, and also goes unpaid... this is the payment to my wife, Lynette, which is complained about.

We have made mistakes. The only way to avoid mistakes is never to attempt anything. We attempted and succeeded far more than we failed... and that is our problem now. We, GOSA, are too valuable. The organisation is a target. A prize.

But it is strong. It is a hard target. The very smart lawyers who drafted our Memorandum of Incorporation (MOI) planned for the possibility that hyenas would try to tear us down. This attempt, as with several before, will fail.

I cannot now deal with matters of fact as we are now engaged in litigation, and everything about the matters of fact and law is sub judice. The hyenas will just have to howl and yip.

What I can say is we did absolutely nothing wrong. We wait impatiently for any evidence to be presented.

In fact, if anything, we are going through this because we tried to do everything correctly.

Again... the GOSA organisation is fully functional as we speak. Legal advice is available to members and to the public. Assistance is a phone call or email away. As always.

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast