Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Advice for new scope - please

I have embarked on the legally correct journey to change the barrel on my 264 Win Mag. The barrel billet license was approved in Feb 2022 and the SAPS approved the alteration application last week. The reamer has been ordered from ARC Ballistics (hit me up if someone is looking for a 264 WM reamer ;)) which will arrive in due course. The barrel will be 26 or 28 inches and I am looking at shooting 120gr banres TSX or 140gr bullets.

The gun will be used for open veld hunting and some veldskiet competitions for exercise.

I now have the dilemma of deciding which scope I must mount on the rifle. The scope must have the following criteria;
    • good glass quality
    • zoom up to 24 (for range use)
    • SFP
    • 30mm tube
    • MOA or similar reticle
    • Budget - R20k

The rifle is currently fitted with a Lynx 6.5-24x42 scope, however, the scope becomes milky from 20 zoom and upwards.

I recently bought a Burris XTR 2 for my 308 VSF. The scope works great, it just makes the rifle unbalnaced when offhand shooting or crawling.

The Zeis Conquest V4 ticks most boxes and it is not that heavy compared to some of the higher-end Vortex and Burris scopes.

Any advice will be appreciated, please.

User

Default Re: Advice for new scope - please

Good glass quality and Burris or even Lynx don't go in the same sentence, probably not Vortex either. I get that they have other merits.

The Zeiss V4 is certainly better than those others in terms of clarity. Ultimately you will need to decide on what compromises make sense for you. Otherwise you might not find the right size/mag/weight/reticle combination even at twice the budget.

Personally I'd be tempted by a decent second hand Swaro in 18x (there's a Z6 for sale on the other forum that even matches your budget) But you may not like the simple reticle or the fact that its second hand. Meopta is worth considering if you can find one - superb clarity. A Swaro Z5 3.5-18 with a BRH reticle could work, you'd need to look around to find a second hand one - in my opinion it's very hard to beat for most plains hunting purposes. But it's a lower mag than you mentioned, so maybe that's a deal breaker. And it's 25mm tube.

User

If you are on a budget, take a look at the Hawke Frontier/Sidewinder/Endurance range.

I've only had my Endurance for a couple of weeks now with a single range session unser the belt. The reviews online seem overwhelmingly positive.

I have compared the glass quality of the Hawke to that of my Zeiss V6. The V6 definitely has the edge in glass quality. I'm still not sure if the increase in clarity justifies the 2.5x increase over the price of the Hawke. I'll make up my mind later in the year once we have less daylight, and I don't have to stay up late to test the scopes in low light conditions.

User

Another option that you could consider is a Leupold VX3 6-20 , slightly less magnification than your spec but good glass

Im in the same boat Scope shopping.

Narrowed or made list on following.

Vortex Venom. +-13500 at Safari. Its got same glass as Strike Eagle and built shape. But does not have all the features. Illumination and Turret locks.
    Arken SH4 - 14500 Very well built internally. And good glass. Like the thicker crosshair around center dot that pulls eye in. If you want to spend more maybe even the Arken EP5 at +-19000
    ZeroTech Advance 4.5-27 at Wildman. Very good Australian made scope. Very clear and loved the feel of it. High on my list.
    Riton from Guns n Bows the importer. The Riton Conquer 5 to be specific falls in your line. Also get very good reviews.
    Rudolph Optics. VH and T models/ All well under 20. And even the USA reviewers give the glass very high marks and the friendly Eyebox very high marks. Rudolph also less cluttererd reticle if you want to use for hunting as well.

Ive removed the Hawke Frontier from my list. As only the Frontier 30 models available locally and they do not have a center dot. the Frontier 34 model has. But the importers not bringing them in.

User

The Frontier 34 5-30 is available locally. A few shops have started posting them for sale. They are going for about R18500 give or take a few rands. I was thinking of getting one of them for my 6.5. I have the older side winder on my 308 and is happy with the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by SJB View Post
    The Frontier 34 5-30 is available locally. A few shops have started posting them for sale. They are going for about R18500 give or take a few rands. I was thinking of getting one of them for my 6.5. I have the older side winder on my 308 and is happy with the scope.
    I phoned Suburban Guns Friday last week. Asked about the Frontier 34 as it has center dot over the 30 model. And on my list I had for going to look at. And the sales guy told me they have not brought them in yet.

If they had. They have one sh@tty sales guy working there.

What is the budget ?
    War is convincing young people to kill complete strangers who are not a threat to them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    Good glass quality and Burris or even Lynx don't go in the same sentence, .
    You haven't looked through a Lynx LX3 yet.
    War is convincing young people to kill complete strangers who are not a threat to them personally.

Quote Originally Posted by 414gates View Post
    You haven't looked through a Lynx LX3 yet.
    Ive got the LX3 5-30x56 on a 308. And its incredibly good glass.

Also have top say in the list I mentioned above. I was looking at a scope which included FFP.
    Otherwise Lynx would have been on the list. Their FFP model is +30

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast