User

Default Shortening barrel on Remington 870

Has anyone ever shortened a barrel on a Remington 870 or similar pump action. Anything to be wary off or look out for?

User

Default Re: Shortening barrel on Remington 870

I regret that the barrel is about 3cm shorter than the magazine extension. It looks funny and leaves a mark on the extension. If you have the option of cutting you should have the extension in hand.

If you want the sights moved back and can't do it yourself ask the smith if he can cut off a piece of barrel. AFAIK they have to have good reason to cut off more than a certain length. Reasons like barrel damage. Kyk maar wat se hulle voor jy die gun gaan aflaai.

User

Mmmmmm I would like the option of a shorty barrel for my 870, don’t really want to cut the existing 20 inch barrel. I have seen some 14 inch barrels at Brownells, so will order from there… dreams.

User

If I ever needed a shorter shottie, I would rather trim the barrel than go to a folding stock or pistol grip.

Just keep in mind that you need to have the front sight moved. This may or may not be easy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    If I ever needed a shorter shottie, I would rather trim the barrel than go to a folding stock or pistol grip.

Just keep in mind that you need to have the front sight moved. This may or may not be easy.
    Did not consider the front sight . Found a mint older 870 but with a 26" barrel hence the question. Will go see it in person and decide from there.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    Did not consider the front sight . Found a mint older 870 but with a 26" barrel hence the question. Will go see it in person and decide from there.
    With that barrel you could mount a looooong mag extension tube and still not have it sticking out past the muzzle. You should end up close to a 10-round capacity.

Just invest in a decent barrel/mag clamp or 2 to keep the extension tube from bending.

Also consider the choke configuration of your current barrel. By shortening it, the choke is cut off. Not a bad idea if you want to shoot buck shot and slugs, but it may limit you on bird shot loads. It all depends on what exactly you are going to use the gun for.

User

On my Winchester Defender, I use a mag extension tube which stick about 180mm past the barrel. I can now load 9rds in the tube which is perfect for Ipsc Manual Pump div (load the tube, rack it and then you can never be over 8 + 1 limit). There is a little bit of gray "carbon" build-up on the extension, it can be scraped off but I feel it gives my gun more character.

User

Watch Shotgun Hack Job from Chris Baker :).

User

Quote Originally Posted by mckg View Post
    Watch Shotgun Hack Job from Chris Baker :).
    The 'finish' that he left on the end of the rib nearly did my pip in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    The 'finish' that he left on the end of the rib nearly did my pip in.
    Mmmm... I say the gun got character now :).