Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Licensing second 308 for hunting or 300WM

Quote Originally Posted by shooty View Post
    To license under S15 takes more paperwork and time then to S16 apply with Natshoot.
    ^ This. Also, to get and maintain DSS and DHS with them is so painless that I can see little reason to go S15.

User

To license under S15 takes more paperwork and time then to S16 apply with Natshoot.
    No it does not. it's OP does not hold DHS, so to apply on S16 he'll first have to get that as well.
    He has everything in place for an S15 Occasional Hunter motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    No it does not. it's OP does not hold DHS, so to apply on S16 he'll first have to get that as well.
    He has everything in place for an S15 Occasional Hunter motivation.
    He has 4 firearms he says on S16. So surely he is dedicated.

For S15 you need letters from ranges saying you attended regularly or letters from farmers that you hunted regularly. The DFO has a long list that you have to hand in of supporting docs for S15.

For S15 you need letters from ranges saying you attended regularly or letters from farmers that you hunted regularly. The DFO has a long list that you have to hand in of supporting docs for S15.
    Did you not read the thread? He has DSS, not DHS.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

sigh

please read through the thread. the OP only holds DSS, not DH. He wants to buy a rifle for hunting, not sport shooting. In HIS case, S15 makes a lot of sense. And there's NO legal requirement to demonstrate any of what you list above, S15 is for OCCASIONAL use after all, which does not require anything about "regularly hunting". Additionally, if he licenses on S15, there is no requirement for him to maintain DH status, which he'll first have to attain and then continuously maintain going forward. I maintain, in the OP's case there is NO advantage to licensing under S16 above S15.

Your DFO's lists are for things that would make it easier to justify the application, which is completely different to the actual minimum requirements. Your DFO has no mandate to refuse an application if the minimum requirements are met.

Much appreciated Gents!

Correct, I hold Dedicated Sport Status (DSS) but not Dedicated Hunt Status (DHS).

Maintaining DSS is virtually no effort with Natshoot as I'm actively involved. My understanding is that acquiring and then maintaining DHS will take some effort as hunting is occasional. Proving that I hunt won't be an issue (photos, invoices, letters from farmers in the family etc). Will just have to tweak my motivation template a bit :)

I already have all the other benefits of going S16 as I already hold a S16 license in 308. Based on info provided I think I'll go the S15 route for the second 308.

Thanks Gents!

User

Maintaining DH with NHSA is not difficult because it's not only the hunting that counts but also things like reloading for hunting purpose.

The extra effort is involved in getting the DH in the first place. also not difficult or onerous, just effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan.Buys View Post
    The other option I looked at was 300WM as this would allow me to go for bigger game, but my understanding is that for this I would need a longer barrel.
    You would need a 24" or longer barrel for the .300 win mag.
    I can not think of any animal I would hunt with the .300 win mag that I won't hunt with a .308 win. And I am a huge fan of the .300 win mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan.Buys View Post
    Correct, I hold Dedicated Sport Status (DSS) but not Dedicated Hunt Status (DHS).

Maintaining DSS is virtually no effort with Natshoot as I'm actively involved. My understanding is that acquiring and then maintaining DHS will take some effort as hunting is occasional. Proving that I hunt won't be an issue (photos, invoices, letters from farmers in the family etc). Will just have to tweak my motivation template a bit :)

I already have all the other benefits of going S16 as I already hold a S16 license in 308. Based on info provided I think I'll go the S15 route for the second 308.

Thanks Gents!
    Maintaining the DH status is very simple. A day at the range doing target practice/scope sighting/load development all count towards DH. Thats besides the actual hunting activities.

And with only 2 activities being needed per year, it makes it really easy to maintain...

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2