Default Reliable News Channels

I am well aware of the untrustworthiness of some reporting - after all I have been the victim of biased reporting and have actually had the core of my message edited out of letters. So what the hell do we trust? Not much I suppose - we must just see everything through suspicious eyes. That said I've just been watching WION Gravitas not for the first time. It covers a lot of ground in a lot more detail than most, which tends to inspire some confidence. Another in DW. As imperfect as they might be, I'm finding them better than most.
    Last edited by Skaaphaas; 07-08-2022 at 11:44.

User

Default Re: Reliable New Channels

DW is a semi decent go too. I know of none that are 100% trustworthy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

"In God we trust, all others pay cash."

Not trying to get into religion. Just making a point that someone, somewhere always has a tainted view of things.

When reports are blurred or unsure I try to get very opposing views,and then search for something in between.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post

Not trying to get into religion. Just making a point that someone, somewhere always has a tainted view of things.

When reports are blurred or unsure I try to get very opposing views,and then search for something in between.
    Yup. Totally agree
    The MSM is usually always pushing a narrative

Banned

So much of what we hear is twisted, wrong or outright lying.

An acquaintance visited Israel some years ago and saw on the news that their beach was being evacuated due to some bomb threat. He looked out the window and saw the very same beach packed to the brim with people.

I once spoke to a military person who was involved in destabilising certain political groups in SA, or causing trouble amongst certain rivaling groups.

I also met a young German who did a voluntary year in Namibia. Once home, she was invited to speak at a function and simply started telling what she experienced on ground level. After a few minutes she was silenced and someone else took over who pushed he main stream agenda.

OP asked whom we trust? No-one. Read wide and keep your mind open. Believe something if opposing groups agree on it, or if you can verify it in some reputable way.

User

^ This x2. Everyone has biases whether they be unconscious or conscious and deliberately delivered in the content they generate. WION comes close to what I used to think 'hard' journalism was but even they have a bit of a soft for the Russians and Chicoms, probably as a result of India's history as a non-aligned state. The single biggest mistake that anyone can make with this is to believe that one source, bet it RT, MSNBC, WION or whatever else can give you the 'truth'. The second is to believe that some sources are 100% BS. Disbelief is best not suspended unless you choose to be manipulated.

User

Default Re: Reliable News Channels

Daily Wire, Fox News and Sky News Australia are pretty good.

User

And herein lies the truth. Any media needs funding. The message they send out needs to suit those who supply the funding. There are no free lunches...

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    And herein lies the truth. Any media needs funding. The message they send out needs to suit those who supply the funding. There are no free lunches...
    To that end it needs to 'fit' the taste profile of its intended audience to ensure that they stay engaged so that they receive adverts which is largely where the funding comes from. The tone and angle of a commercial news operation be that CNN or some oke on Youtube is neither an accident, nor is it often particularly variable as it's been honed to meet a market demand. The fact that one likes their angle is in no way indicative of the content being an accurate reflection an in fact I'd argue that if you find yourself nodding in agreement every time you suck on your chosen news firehose that's a sign of you having programmed yourself.