Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default Precious Metals Investing

Was wondering if there are any Gunsiters that invest in precious metals?

If you do, which precious metals and then do you go for lower denominations like 1 oz if silver and 1/10 if gold?

Do you do coins or bars?

User

Default Re: Precious Metals Investing

following

Remember you pay more for the smaller coins like 1/10 Kruger than say a full 1oz. But then the 1/10 are more convenient to have.

Also remember, and what put me off gold Krugerrands, is that you can't take them out of the country without permission. There is more of a premium on the bars so that is something in favour of the coins.

Not sure if that relates to the silver Krugerrands though, I still have to find that out, but I prefer some of the other country's 1oz silver coins for that reason. The US silver Eagles are pretty expensive though so I don't go for those. And there is a very big premium on silver so keep that in mind.

If you want something other than Kruggerands then the Rand Refinery's bars are an option: https://mrk.co.za/shop/
    Or Metcon's gold bars are quite convenient: https://wealth.metcon.co.za/shop/?per_page=30

This is a great site for silver (and gold) coins from around the world: https://www.silver-sphere.co.za/prod...bullion-coins/

There is also the option of what Americans call "junk silver", but they are anything but. In SA that would be the 1966 - 1969 silver R1 coins, and then the Union of South Africa silver coins (Shilling). They used to be readily available in bulk lots on sites like Bid Or Buy but a lot have been bought up. They also used to be quite cheap, like at spot price, now people are charging ridiculous prices. I haven't looked recently so maybe they are available again.

I'm by no means an expert, so no financial advice, just a hobby of mine. I collect and put them away, I don't keep an eye on the prices every day like some do. remember gold and silver, for now, are ways of wealth preservation, if you are looking to make a profit in the short term it probably won't happen as the market is rigged (for those rolling their eyes at this, JP Morgan paid $1 billion in fines for rigging markets not too long ago and just recently some more people were charged with spoofing), but IMO there is a crash coming and the gold and silver market is set for a huge turnaround, and the worse that can happen is you make small profit. Take a look at the gold and silver market over the years it has always steadily gone up even if there has been a downturn for periods. Good luck.

User

Depending on jow much you want to invest, you can go Gold in the form of Krugerrands, which is one ounce fine gold, with copper added to make the minting last. R31.8k one at the Scionshop today.
    They also sell Sterling silver Krugerrands at a lot less.

Safekeeping is important. Don’t stick R300k worth of gold in a R6k safe. Safedeposit box most likely best, but will you be able to access it ifbthe country go up in flames?

Also don’t buy from people advertising on Social media- I know there is a Chinese Syndicate stamping Tungsten and plating it with gold- the size is 1mm off and the weight around 2gram- I have handled one before. They also aparently make faux silver Krugerrands.

User

In my experience, with silver you have a wider variety of products easily available. In gold, Krugerrands (and fractional Krugerrands) are what I have seen freely available. I'm personally not interested in "collectibles", purely silver and gold for the metal value.

I once received a 1/10 gold Mandela coin as an award at work. It cost the company approximately 5x the spot value, and today, several years later, the best I can get is just below spot value.

With Krugerrands, the premium paid over spot price proportionally increases as you go for smaller fractions. So 10x 1/10th coins are much more expensive than 1x 1ounce coin. Krugerrands are available, e.g. Scoin shops, online.

With silver, I have had very good experiences with Silver Sphere (online, www.silver-sphere.co.za). They have a range of products, many coins as well as silver bars. I have no affiliation with Zoltan and his crew.

If you purchase Krugerrands (silver or gold), you have to submit proof of residence and ID, not so with the other silver coins. Reserve bank requirement I think.

User

I question the financial collapse use case of gold and especially silver. As an inflation hedge in countries where euros or dollars or worldwide stocks cannot be easily bought it maybe makes more sense.

Profit during all the years of not economic collapse is low on average. Gold producer ETFs are available which should at least earn some returns the years you hold them,and they can be held through financial instruments that don't need you to smuggle it up up orifice to get out of SA.

Worldwide collapse? Seeds, fertilizer, water purifiers and antibiotics are a better investment.

It is pretty though

Quote Originally Posted by SLR View Post
    I question the financial collapse use case of gold and especially silver. As an inflation hedge in countries where euros or dollars or worldwide stocks cannot be easily bought it maybe makes more sense.

Profit during all the years of not economic collapse is low on average. Gold producer ETFs are available which should at least earn some returns the years you hold them,and they can be held through financial instruments that don't need you to smuggle it up up orifice to get out of SA.

Worldwide collapse? Seeds, fertilizer, water purifiers and antibiotics are a better investment.

It is pretty though
    This, plus just take a look at the SP500 with dividends reinvested over time. Plus I don't know if silver has any real world use.

Quote Originally Posted by FNBROWNING View Post
    This, plus just take a look at the SP500 with dividends reinvested over time. Plus I don't know if silver has any real world use.
    What?

Every electric car uses it, every solar panel contains silver, the list goes on and on.
    The big secret in metals right now is the silver shortage.

Silver is by far the most underrated investment right now.
    The gold silver ratio right now is about 60:1, historically it has been about 12:1, if a collapse happens and that ratio returns, your returns are going to be huge.

The US dollar is on its last legs. ETFs - if you can't touch it, you don't own it.

User

Some of the drivel spouted on GS these days has me shaking my head in despair.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    What?

Every electric car uses it, every solar panel contains silver, the list goes on and on.
    The big secret in metals right now is the silver shortage.

Silver is by far the most underrated investment right now.
    The gold silver ratio right now is about 60:1, historically it has been about 12:1, if a collapse happens and that ratio returns, your returns are going to be huge.

The US dollar is on its last legs. ETFs - if you can't touch it, you don't own it.
    The spot price over time tells me that any shortage is a myth. With an ETF, sure you don't own the underlying shares but your bank account doesn't care and nor do you when sitting on some foreign shore sipping cocktails.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast