Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Banned

Default Re: Why you should not shoot through branches

I have had two cases where bullets have deflected, both with my 7x64 and mono bullets. In the first case we suddenly came on an Impala ewe and I took a snap shot at about 30m. I hit some branch and broke the animals one front leg. She took off into the bush and offered no further shot. I had to pay the price as it would be nearly impossible to track her and she went into sickle bush thickets.

I fired at an Impala ram on another farm and could not find any blood on the running spoor. Got in the dogs but no luck. Looking carefully I found a small green twig about 50mm in length which had been hit by the bullet. This time I was lucky and found the white hair that had been shaved of the brisket of the animal. No skin was attached. A lucky escape.

Make sure of your bullet path !!!!!!

User

You guys keep talking bullet deflection, why?

The OP never mentioned bullet deflection neither does the post itself.

In the first post the Op talks about his 416R hitting the screen of his Chrono, with a picture of the target cardboard having the bullet having gone sideways through it. I.e. tumbling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post
    In the first post the Op talks about his 416R hitting the screen of his Chrono, with a picture of the target cardboard having the bullet having gone sideways through it. I.e. tumbling

it did not turn sideways of its own accord, it was ..... ? to turn sideways ?
    in this case it appears to have hit left of obstacle and deflected to the right ?

User

Quote Originally Posted by tcbc View Post

Go read again- it scrapped the rear plastic V on the right, broke the right rear one off, then went through the target sideways.
    No screen was hit- the too sensor fell out after the rear V broke.

My statement was in response to post #32, querying deflection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Look, this is a typical gun topic, one where people THINK they know what is happening vs that which is actually happening.

If on route to a target a bullet hits another object and it hits the target sideways something happened, that bullet lost stability, it did NOT deflect it lost stability.

If on route to a target a bullet hits another object and it hits the TARGET in another location than the original flight path then, and only then did it “deflect”.

For a bullet to deflect to a certain degree it must meet an obstacle to provide enough resistance for Mr. N’s 3rd law, it must meet it with the same magnitude, that which a twig cannot do. You are not going to shoot your 5000ft/lbf 400gr 416caliber bullet and produce hence momentum only for it to be deflected by a force of lessor value.

Therefor you have to assume an object in motion stays in motion unless met with a force sufficient to unbalance it.

Go read the online forums, every second idiot thinks a “brush “gun wins in the brush, only for tests to show the 222, 243, 270 etc wins in the bullet deflection scenario, not slow and heavy. And it’s not counter intuitive, it’s called indoctrination.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    Look, this is a typical gun topic, one where people THINK they know what is happening vs that which is actually happening.

If on route to a target a bullet hits another object and it hits the target sideways something happened, that bullet lost stability, it did NOT deflect it lost stability.

If on route to a target a bullet hits another object and it hits the TARGET in another location than the original flight path then, and only then did it “deflect”.

For a bullet to deflect to a certain degree it must meet an obstacle to provide enough resistance for Mr. N’s 3rd law, it must meet it with the same magnitude, that which a twig cannot do. You are not going to shoot your 5000ft/lbf 400gr 416caliber bullet and produce hence momentum only for it to be deflected by a force of lessor value.

Therefor you have to assume an object in motion stays in motion unless met with a force sufficient to unbalance it.

Go read the online forums, every second idiot thinks a “brush “gun wins in the brush, only for tests to show the 222, 243, 270 etc wins in the bullet deflection scenario, not slow and heavy. And it’s not counter intuitive, it’s called indoctrination.
    Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post

Messor- I have to challenge your statement according to the principles by Mr Isaac Newton which I note below:

The deflection or change in Motion is determined by the First Law- “and in a straight line unless acted on by an unbalanced force”

I would see a bullet scraping a plastic pillar an an unbalanced force

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned

Newtons 4th law - die laaste druppel is altyd in die onderbroek.

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Newtons 4th law - die laaste druppel is altyd in die onderbroek.
    Gold! This should be engraved on a stone tablet one day.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4