Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default Re: Vektor H5 223 vs 5.56

Gunshop counter advice. Take it with a pinch. If 5.56 was susceptible to slam firing you wouldn’t see it used in semi auto rifles the world over.

The platform (R4 through all the variations to the H5) has a known issue of the elastomer spring getting old and resulting in a protruding firing ping. Paul has solution using the spring from a Bic pen.

I’d wager your friend’s gun’s problem has nothing to do with the rounds used.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

I agree with Skaaphaas. Because 5.56 is generally meant for use in semi auto and even full auto capable rifles logic dictates that the ammo should have harder primers than .223 ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Gunshop counter advice. Take it with a pinch. If 5.56 was susceptible to slam firing you wouldn’t see it used in semi auto rifles the world over.

The platform (R4 through all the variations to the H5) has a known issue of the elastomer spring getting old and resulting in a protruding firing ping. Paul has solution using the spring from a Bic pen.

I’d wager your friend’s gun’s problem has nothing to do with the rounds used.
    This.

The H5 is also built on an auto receiver, and is designed to slam fire if you pump it whilst holding the trigger back.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

My LM5 had the issue with the elastomer firing pin "spring". I bought a proper coil spring from Nobleteq. I haven't experienced any slam-fires since fitting the spring.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by KM02 View Post
    Had a chat today with a giy who has a h5. He mentioned that once upon a time the gun had an issue, basically whenever he pumped it it would fire without him pulling the trigger. Apparently he took it back to the dealer from where he purchased the brand new gun and the dealer said that he should use 223 and not 556. Since then he's been using 223 only without any issues.
    I think he heard something, got it back-to-from and told it as the gospel.

Years ago when the LM4/5 rifles were fairly new to the civilian market, and PMP sold both Boxer- and Berdan-primed ammo, the Boxer-primed ammo boxes had a white warning label stating that this ammo was not suitable for use in LM4/5 rifles. The issue was not the bullets, but rather the primers. The early LM rifles had floating firing pins that were prone to cause a round chambered a few times to fire. The Berdan primers were slightly harder, thus they could take a few more loading-unloading cycles before they fired, but they too did fire eventually. The issue was rectified by installing the elastomer firing pin spring.

Firing pins impacting the primer when chambering is a common issue with SLR's of all types. Most AR's I have seen do this. Just be aware and do not rechamber the same round too many times.

The H5 may be a manual rifle, but the action is able to get slammed close by spring pressure. This will cause the same issues as with a SLR. Just close it slightly more controlled and all should be good.

Except of course when the elastomer firing pin spring gets gooey and keep the firing pin in the forward position. Then it functions like a fixed firing pin as seen on some SMG's.

User

Quote Originally Posted by carleng View Post
    My LM5 had the issue with the elastomer firing pin "spring". I bought a proper coil spring from Nobleteq. I haven't experienced any slam-fires since fitting the spring.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Same here, i once had an unintended firing incident. Took it to a guy in Pta North, which replaced the elastomer sleeve with a proper spring. No incidents since that.

User

[QUOTE=carleng;1474360]My LM5 had the issue with the elastomer firing pin "spring". I bought a proper coil spring from Nobleteq. I haven't experienced any slam-fires since fitting the spring.

THIS!

My H5 started to slam-fire... frightend the sh#t out of me the first time! Turned out as Carleng says: the elastomer "spring" had perished and jammed the firing pin in a protruding position. Replaced it with a spring from Nobleteq and have had many happy shooting days since then! Nothing to do with 5.56 vs .223.

Serves to be mentioned I have shot thousands of rounds through my H5 in both 5.56 and 223 rem and reloads of my own using both cartridges. No difference!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Shigawagga View Post
    Serves to be mentioned I have shot thousands of rounds through my H5 in both 5.56 and 223 rem and reloads of my own using both cartridges. No difference!
    Txs for the heads up 👍

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4