Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Re: SWATCO-Still in business??

Quote Originally Posted by FFourie View Post
    That gun is your property and should not form part of the company assets. Find out who the liquidators are, make sure that your ownership are established and arrange for transfer of the gun to another dealer of your choice unless you can get a storage permit.
    Assuming that the gun was in fact the property of the shop and they were lawfully entitled to pass title.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    Assuming that the gun was in fact the property of the shop and they were lawfully entitled to pass title.
    The selling on behalf of onwer, was supposed to bring it into stock.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 777 View Post
    The selling on behalf of onwer, was supposed to bring it into stock.
    I believe what SSP means is that ownership of the firearm would not have passed over to the shop if they themselves had not yet settled their financial obligations to the supplier; leaving them in no position to in-turn transfer ownership over to you.

In simple terms, if they didn't pay for it it's not theirs to transfer ownership to you.

EDIT: Wait a second. When you say "selling on behalf of owner"; was this perhaps someone's personal gun that they were facilitating the purchase for? If this is the case, do you know if the firearm was then dealer-stocked on their name? Your 271 should provide a bit more info in the 350 section. Who is listed as the current owner/holder?

User

That's the issue, I was waiting for them to put it onto dealer stock and send me the 271, never happened,so now not sure if it's in dealer name or previous owners name. Previous owner guns with them.

Find out from your DFO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I think the shop just might fall under Bramley. Call the Bramley SAPS and ask for the DFO.

User

Ok we making progress- The gent that I am buying the firearm from has the firearm back from gunshop. Can he complete the 271 and scan to me , or does it have to go through the gun shop?

Can he as a private person do the docs, keep the firearm and once i get Licence i go collect it?

User

Ok we making progress- The gent that I am buying the firearm from has the firearm back from gunshop. Can he complete the 271 and scan to me , or does it have to go through the gun shop?

Can he as a private person do the docs, keep the firearm and once i get Licence i go collect it?
    Given that the firearm has been returned to him I'm going to assume that it wasn't transferred from his name to dealer stock and that he still has a valid license. I'd suggest getting a copy of the license and then getting it checked at a friendly gun shop or your DFO. If it checks out to him then he can fill in the 271 and send you the hard copy and he can retain the gun for you till your license is processed.

I'm really glad to hear that it seems this wasn't an attempt to defraud you. My dealings with SWATCO have always been very positive and it's a real shame that they have gone out of business.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Given that the firearm has been returned to him I'm going to assume that it wasn't transferred from his name to dealer stock and that he still has a valid license. I'd suggest getting a copy of the license and then getting it checked at a friendly gun shop or your DFO. If it checks out to him then he can fill in the 271 and send you the hard copy and he can retain the gun for you till your license is processed.

I'm really glad to hear that it seems this wasn't an attempt to defraud you. My dealings with SWATCO have always been very positive and it's a real shame that they have gone out of business.
    Many thanks, yes I checked with the DFO . he gave me a print out still on his name. Can i download the 271 and does it have to be orginal or can he scan to me?

User

Ah, a relief! Yes, he can provide you with the 271 and then hold onto the gun while you wait for your licence.

If you're not averse to paying a little bit of money and he's keen to get it off his name (his current licence expires when?), then suggest you book it in at another shop and have them transfer the gun to their stock. Once that's done they can provide you with the 271.

Dave Sheer is very close to SWATCO; you'd be safe storing the gun there.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast