Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Another .303 Thread

Hey Everyone

Been doing my fair share of SMLE/.303 Brit thread researching but there is not a lot to take away from them when looking at my new (to me) BSA rifle.

Unfortunately the barrel has been painted, but 'tis but a flesh wound.

The weird thing for me is the bolt face that is on a threaded insert, is this just the way it was manufactured and assembled, and I'm assuming to account for the pivot in order to unlock the bolt from the action for removal.

I can't seem to remove the recoil pad as the fasteners are behind the rubber and I've not managed to get any drivers to seat.

If anybody could tell me what model this could be for starters it would be immensely helpful, for all I know now is the make and caliber.

Cheers

Attachment 34874Attachment 34873Attachment 34871Attachment 34872Attachment 34875

User

Default Re: Another .303 Thread

I have some more images but I am struggling to upload them. I can't seem to remove the first lot of images from my "lot" and I am at my size limit.

User

That is a Lee Enfield No1 Mk3*. The date of manufacture should be stamped on the other side of the wrist.

From what I can see it looks like it was sporterised. Not sure if it is a post WW1 rifle sold in a sporter stock or if it is a surplus rifle sporterised by the previous owner.

The bolt head is as manufactured.

User

Quote Originally Posted by jayson_keevy View Post
    Hey Everyone

I can't seem to remove the recoil pad as the fasteners are behind the rubber and I've not managed to get any drivers to seat.

If you look VERY carefully at the back of the recoil pad, you will probably be able to 2 small crosses have been cut into the pad with a craft knife by whoever fitted it. The crosses are meant to close up after the screws have been pushed through in order to hide the screws and they normally do this quite effectively, becoming invisible unless you know what you are looking for. It helps to pull the 2 edges of the pad outwards so that it stretches slightly. When you find the crosses, force a screwdriver in there and it will make contact with the head of the mounting screw. Unscrew as normal.

Banned

The bolt head of the 303 can be changed with others of different lengths to be able to adjust the head space. Google "head space for 303" and you will get a good explanation.

Banned

Post 3-4-5 have told you almost all the basics.

Metal wise I think you have a particularly nice one, even the stamping is good. Hate that piece of wood on top .
    You seem to have gotten a nicer piece of wood on your one.

I will PM you so as not to act to clever on site (hate competing with some of the guys on site, they really know stuff - me ? I just get them accurate, a few site guys and I have video called their 303 into the under a inch grouping)- Cordite Crazy will be along soon with some more knowledge.

Banned

Was looking at your pics again, I really think that's a nice one

User

Thanks BBCT. I saw the holes and could get the driver in, but could never get it to seat so I can unscrew it.

User

Another pic

User

One more.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast