Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default CZ550 450 Rigby Question

I have been wanting to look at getting a DG rifle for a while now and believe I have narrowed it down to the right caliber and rifle combination for me. As stated in the title I am after a CZ550 in 450 Rigby. The only challenge with this is that the ones that do come up are usually very pricey custom rifles with high grade walnut stocks etc. I however don’t think I could justify that capital outlay at the moment (unless something too good to be true came up) so have thought of two different ways in which this goal can be reached. With this comes the question. It could either be done through a 416 Rigby or 458 Lott and I am wanting to know which would be a more logical option from a gunsmithing perspective and if anyone knows a gun smith capable of doing it or has a rough (even if it’s really rough) ballpark figure as to what it would cost? If cost is equal, part of me feels that the 416 Rigby would be a better choice as one could train up the recoil and fireform the cases to 450 Rigby if the smith work is excessively expensive and would then only be done at a later stage. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

User

Default Re: CZ550 450 Rigby Question

Your easiest option, would be to buy a cz 550 458 win mag (there are some new ones around, as well as second hand ones) and have a gunsmith convert it to a 450 rigby.

If you are going this way i would let the gunsmith do the changes while it is still on their books, as the paperwork will be a lot easier if they are “building” a 450 rigby from a standard rifle rather than you trying to get cfr to approve a calibre change once you have licenced it.

The other option is to contact sabi rifles, as they make custom but standard working rifles without the fancy wood etc, and see if they will make you one.

either way, you dropping 40k + for a rifle.

If you go the 458 lott route, then i would say just keep it as a 458 lott and go shoot some DG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

I agree.
    Get a 458 Lott and stick with it.
    The 450 is a lot to handle, and will be an expensive process
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

Quote Originally Posted by Roguemeister View Post
    Your easiest option, would be to buy a cz 550 458 win mag (there are some new ones around, as well as second hand ones) and have a gunsmith convert it to a 450 rigby.
    Does the 458 WM come in the CZ magnum or standard action? If standard then it's not going to fly for the Rigby length case. There would also be a lot of opening up of the bolt face needed. And the magazine would probably be too short etc.

A CZ 416 Rigby would be the better starting point by far. Magnum length action and bolt-face already the right size. Would need re-barreling or reaming & boring out to 458. Plus relicensing.

To be honest, I'd search hard for a CZ 450 Rigby as they came from the factory before I started considering a modding job. There were a few imported into SA and you may just find one lying on the shelf in a Co-op or someone happy to part with theirs.

As Mylani says, a Lott may be the better compromise and was also produced by CZ in factory guise. The 450 can outperform the Lott velocity-wise but that requires a competent user to manage the recoil. Not that the Lott is especially mild

But if you gotta have a Rigby and you have the $$$, go for it!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    Does the 458 WM come in the CZ magnum or standard action? If standard then it's not going to fly for the Rigby length case. There would also be a lot of opening up of the bolt face needed. And the magazine would probably be too short etc.

A CZ 416 Rigby would be the better starting point by far. Magnum length action and bolt-face already the right size. Would need re-barreling or reaming & boring out to 458. Plus relicensing.

To be honest, I'd search hard for a CZ 450 Rigby as they came from the factory before I started considering a modding job. There were a few imported into SA and you may just find one lying on the shelf in a Co-op or someone happy to part with theirs.

As Mylani says, a Lott may be the better compromise and was also produced by CZ in factory guise. The 450 can outperform the Lott velocity-wise but that requires a competent user to manage the recoil. Not that the Lott is especially mild

But if you gotta have a Rigby and you have the $$$, go for it!
    The win mag comes on the magnum action, it is the bane of them as the win mag rounds slide forward and back in the magazine.

I would imagine opening the bolt face and reaming a win mag would be less hassle than rebarelling a rigby rifle? But im no gunsmith so i dont know which is easier?

As the others have said, the Lott is plenty enough, but if you want the 450 Rigby, go for it! Just dont expect to get one for cheap!

User

Hey guys, I appreciate everyone’s input big time! The reality is that it is not going to be a cheap outlay just to buy the rifle. The going rate for a Lott is usually about R4k less than the rigby but is still mid to low 40’s. So I feel that if the smith work won’t cost considerably more than I am hoping it will, then it may make sense to go the full distance. Obviously it is an extremely expensive affair then I will have to reconsider my plans. The reason for me wanting to go CZ is that I believe the actions are the right size for the Rigbys and a good platform to work off of. I agree that if one did go ahead and purchase one of these with the intention of having it rechambered the best move would be to get the gun shop to do it and then apply for the rifle. I also agree that the Lott if more than enough rifle and there is no need for the Rigby route, but then again there is no real need to buy a larger rifle than 375 (in my current case). The Lott is undeniably more practical than the Rigbys, just as a 416 Rem Mag etc is too. There is just something about a Rigby case for me that has huge appeal. Does anyone know a good place to give a call to get an estimate price on the gunsmithing work? As this will help with whether one buys either of the two calibers for and uses them till the right opportunity for rechambering arrives. Would Sabi be willing to do this kind of thing or do they just build rifles from the ground up? Once again I appreciate all the input of you more experienced gentlemen. Have a good one.

User

i agree on the 458 lott , get a CZ550
    its the easiest and most simple solution

Hi Adie,

I recently started the same process. I purchased a CZ550 458 WM to be converted to a 450 Rigby. The dealer/gunsmith also explained that the conversion would not be complicated and would not take long to complete. I have left it on the dealers books, so they can do the conversion and then I only need to license the firearm once, once the change is registered and the conversion is done.

That part is simple. The rifle was purchased end of April. The complicated part is getting approval from CFR for the conversion. To date we are still waiting for approval. So prepare yourself for a long wait, I am at the point of getting legal assistance on this (so maybe budget for that).

Then the next battle after that, obtaining brass and dies. (Also requires a healthy budget) At least you should have sufficient time to find some.

Good luck and great choice!

User

Well gentlemen, I was in the deciding phase for ages. A CZ550 or Brno ZKK 602 where a prerequisite. I was torn between the 416 and 450 Rigby. I know a lot of guys said if I was hell bent on a 458 cal then go the Lott. While I agree that it is the most practical choice, I felt that for me this was not a choice based purely on practicality. I was leaning towards the 450 and did a bunch of research as to what lay ahead when converting a 458 Win or Lott to the Rigby. Then, just as I was about to go forward with either route. A CZ 550 450 Rigby came up at a price that I could not resist. It’s a 458 Lott that was converted years ago. Needless to say I’m like a kid in a candy store

User

Congrats! The jealousy is strong here. A Mauser pattern big bore is something that I sorely lack.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast