Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Delvillewood Memorial Competition July 2022

Apologies for the delay in posting

Thank you Ilmg for the pics. Much appreciated

@ carleng: Please check out www.sportsadventureshooting.co.za you can also pm Ilmg
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Stage 4
    Advance to Tank Trap Fortifications (100m)

At this time the wind was still blowing. Strongly! My Ear protection with it microphones constantly had the sound of wind to the point I sometimes could not hear RO instructions. It really was like having white noise constantly in the ears.

Starting from the 200m mark the participant had to run (through scrub strewn veldt and broken ground). At the firing line were two tank traps, separated by 10m. The COF called for the shooter to engage 3 steel targets with 2 shots each from the top of the tank trap, the center/intersection and then from the base.

At no point was the rifle allowed to touch the ground. To make it even more interesting the Staff had cunningly positioned one of the Tank Traps over a cow pat. It was not quite glisteningly soft and wet, it had formed a crust, but it certainly gave pause as to where how one would go prone.

I had never shot from such a structure and it was really interesting: Jeff Cooper defined a rifleman as someone who could get into the most stable shooting position THE QUICKEST! Well, a tank trap is an excellent method/structure to practice this.

Now being closer to the targets hits were easier even though the wind was still flying the flag square to the mast and the white windswept noise was loud in our earpro.

Personally, I felt good getting hits with each shot. Again a quote from Col. Jeff Cooper “The Rifle is what raised mankind from the mud” (If I recall correctly) Being able to project force, accurately, over a distance, quickly, is always brings a great sense of satisfaction (This is simply of admiration of skill, and not of morality)

Adsupp won this stage easily. He had a muzzle brake on his AR and was able to keep his sight on target with each shot.

Throughout the competition, to this point, every time I fired a shot I lost picture of my target, whether it was 300 or 200 meters. I was using a 1-6X28 Scope and at 6x magnification at 300 & 200m I lost sight momentarily. At the 100m I had dialed down to 1.5 and it was easier to see (and hear) the results of each shot.

Well done to Adsupp for winning this stage. His physical ability and shooting skills got him into the 1st place.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Stage 4 - Run from 200 meters to 100 meter line. From each of the 2x tank traps engage 3 targets at 120 meters 2x hits each, one standing, one kneeling, and one prone (6x targets, 12 hits required), timed.

User

Stage 5 - Run from 100 meters to church grave yard wall at the 50 meter line, around the right side of the barrier engage 6x targets 2x shots each at 70 meters. Then run from 50 meters to 25 meter line engage 6x targets at 25-50 meters around the left side of the barricade (12x targets 24 hits required), timed.

Stage 5

Clear the Trench line. (Pics above)

Moving through the veldt, the shooter had to move from the 100m to the 50m line and engage targets from behind a barricade. First from the right and then from the left behind cover. This was a fast shooting stage and if you were quick on your feet then you stood a good chance of winning.

LoneRanger carrying his Bolt action (With Suppressor attached) easily won this stage with his Scoped AK. Well Done!

Stage 6

Clear church and enter basement.

If you are still reading, you would have noticed that the Delvillewood Memorial Competition 2022 had a theme or plan: Starting with a 3km hike and then moving progressively to the end.

So at this point we were approaching the “Church” to rescue wounded comrades in the basement of a Church.

So we had to move about 50m and then engage steel plates (About 30x30cm) with our handguns. Target were about 10-20m distant. The Barricade that we had to shoot from behind had a rubber mat tacked at a high and a low height.

This forced the shooter to adopt a really uncomfortable (Inaccurate) shooting position you could not really go full prone, neither kneel.
    Personally this stage was disastrous for me as I ran out of ammo after two mags and had then to resort to reloading from an ammo box that I had carried for the duration of the competition. I had misunderstood the briefing and ASSUMED that 2 mags would be sufficient for the hand gun stages. Word to the wise: If you carry spare ammo, carry it in magazines. As bolt action rifle shooter and yours truly had discovered: Reloading single rounds is not a winning recipe.

BUT, wait there is more: After knocking down the plates the shooter then had to enter the “basement” and only on touching the parked trailer would the time stop

For those unfamiliar with our range Funky Town, this entailed running 20m to the shooting butt and then slipping and sliding down into the Butt and then touching the trailer.
    Being the genius I fancied myself I planned go to the lip of the berm and then lower myself down. (At this point I had vastly overestimated my shooting AND physical skills)

However my genius’ism was soon punctured when it was pointed out that I would have to still be wearing my L1 Gear. An extra 15kg’s on-top of my 100kg meant that gravity got a vote. And I was prepared to vote with Gravity notwithstanding that I my rifle and scope are valued at over 20k.

Gravity and Money: Both have a veto for any plans. Story of my life….

Back to the stage: There was some really spectacular slip-n-slide into the “basement”. Honestly if you wear a decent pair of pants it really helps protect your butt and get you to where you need to be ASAP. Ordinary Jeans do not have survived to many days like this.

Adsup, Kilroy and Q placed 1st 2nd and 3rd respectively. Well done gents. As stated, all competitors where carrying their Rifles and L1 Gear. Moving slipping and sliding down a steep incline without damaging yourself OR your gear is really important. Clothing is important. Plan for it.

User

Stage 6 - Sling your rifle, Run from the 25 meter cover to the grave stone at 10 meters and using your handgun engage the 5x targets on the right side until they are down, Then the 5x targets on the left side until the down.
    15cm x 10cm (5"x4") steel drop plates. Then run and enter the Church basement, timed.

Have to reload 19 rounds not enough to knock over 10 steel drop plates.

Then run and enter the Church basement.

Stage 7

Rescue Captured Soldier

Now we were all in the basement of the “Church” and would have to rescue our prisoner comrades.

Our comrades were ascertained to be wounded and they could not walk. Consequently they could not be walked out and would be required to carried out. The comrade in question was a 10kg (Maybe 15kg) punching bag.

On the signal the competitor had to carry the previously captive comrade, and whilst making good his escape from the basement engage any Huns on the way out.

Practically this meant the using strong hand only whilst hoisting the punching bag either over their shoulder or tucked between arm and body.
    Honestly: In a real world situation a decent drag handle on your kit is a must. I have seen to many airsoft grade gear fail. We were carrying a 15kg max bag and struggled to move, shoot and get hits on target.

Did I mention that we were not told how many targets there were OR where they were located. It really made for slow and intense stage.
    Side note: Whilst waiting for our rescue stage to begin, a fellow competitor offered me an energy bar. It had a gummy texture mixed with cereal. Not having had breakfast (Up at 04:00, on the road at 05:00 to be ready for the start at 06:00) I readily accepted.

After a few seconds of sweet gummy cereal happiness, I sensed a stone in my mouth: The Gummy part of the energy bar had mined and extracted a 30 grain weight, filling from a tooth in the rear. To be honest this tooth had been on a watch list for some time, but man, the timing sucked.

Anyhoo, I stuck it in a pocket and finished the now under suspicion energy bar.

Adsup again showed his proficiency and won this stage followed by LoneRanger and Q. Gear and skills are important. Observation/awareness is just as important.

User

Stage 7 - Carry a wounded soldier out of the Church crypts, don't drop him, engage enemy targets with handgun one hand only. Unknown number of targets. Was 10x 15cm x 15cm (5"x5") drop plates that had to be knocked down), timed.

Carrying Tommy to safety.

Contact left!

Stage 8
    Clear the woods.

Coming up out of the basement competitors had to enter a low dug out- trench type structure and then seek out hidden targets (steel plates about 20x20cm and painted camo)

This was done whilst following a designated path which you could not step off. The stage began at the sound of the buzzer and ended when the shooter said so.

None of us knew how many targets were in the bushes. The majority of us spotted and hit 10. However there were 13 in total iirc. So it was a real balance between spotting the targets and speed.

Very realistic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast