User

Default Big(ger) bore cleaning equipment...

With the 9.3x62 bought, I need to get cleaning equipment for it. Preferably to fit my yellow 30cal RAM rod.
    of course no purpose-made stuff for 9.3, that would've been too easy! Im guessing for brushes 9mm ones should work fine. A proper jag is my problem: I like the RAM ones you roll the patch around. bought a 9mm one, but it looks too small (sidenote, the design has changed with the recesses now smaller and more, but it doesn't hook the patch as nicely as the older ones). Would a .375 one perhaps be better, or would it be to big again?

what do the rest if you 9.3 guys use?

User

Default Re: Big(ger) bore cleaning equipment...

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
    With the 9.3x62 bought, I need to get cleaning equipment for it. Preferably to fit my yellow 30cal RAM rod.
    of course no purpose-made stuff for 9.3, that would've been too easy! Im guessing for brushes 9mm ones should work fine. A proper jag is my problem: I like the RAM ones you roll the patch around. bought a 9mm one, but it looks too small (sidenote, the design has changed with the recesses now smaller and more, but it doesn't hook the patch as nicely as the older ones). Would a .375 one perhaps be better, or would it be to big again?

375 is 9.5mm so you can clean your rifle using 375 brushes and jags

User

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

I converted my ramrods to US style with adaptors available from S&O, your .30 Cal ramrod will work perfectly. I use Boretech's nylon brushes for .375 and bought a Tipton jag kit for patches. I use the .35/ 9mm jag as the .375 doesn't fit when patched. You can buy the jags separately.

Some reasons for moving away from the RAM brushes and jags. Most modern solvents have an element of copper remover that destroy bronze brushes, RAM's nylon brush bristles are very soft so I am not convinced they really do anything to even slightly stubborn carbon deposits, RAM's jags are bare brass so give false readings with any solvent that also removes copper.

User

I use the .338 ones.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    RAM's jags are bare brass so give false readings with any solvent that also removes copper.
    This nearly did my head in. The solvent causes the jag to leave a trace on the patch which I used to mistake for residual bore fouling. Finally figure it out when cleaning the stumpy barrel of my semi-auto shotgun which I could see was mirror bright inside but still staining patches. Acid etched them and dipped in some heavy duty epoxy coating I had and the problem went away along with my absolute hate for leaning long guns.

User

Thanks for everyone's inputs!

Quote Originally Posted by 458Exp View Post
    375 is 9.5mm so you can clean your rifle using 375 brushes and jags
    So although only advertised on the website as for 375, the RAM jag and brushes I bought are actually labeled for both 375 and 9.3mm.