Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Starter belt grinder for knife making as hobby

Hi All,

I've been wanting to try my hand at stock removal knife making for ages now. I finally have a bit saved up to start looking at acquiring some tools I don't already have. Top most of these is a belt grinder. So I have a question. Is a small entry level belt grinder like this:

https://www.builders.co.za/Tools-%26...RoCe0YQAvD_BwE

Adequate for a beginner taking his first steps in the hobby? Is it worth it? Has anyone here started with a similar machine before upgrading. I don't want to drop 8 to 10k if I'm not yet sure if I'll stick with it.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Starter belt grinder for knife making as hobby

I have a slightly beefier version of that from Adendorff and it works but is frustratingly slow when I've tried blade grinding. I found it difficult to keep my grinds straight with the narrow belt too. Still glad I have it as I've used it for lots of other tasks.

Not affiliated in any way but stumbled across this on facebook and your profile says you're in CT so might be worth checking out the Cape Town Knife Show this weekend? The ad says they're going to have knifemaking equipment there.
    https://www.facebook.com/CapeTownKni...ARZqejWcwzgM2l

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I have a slightly beefier version of that from Adendorff and it works but is frustratingly slow when I've tried blade grinding. I found it difficult to keep my grinds straight with the narrow belt too. Still glad I have it as I've used it for lots of other tasks.
    Thanks oefpatroll. Thought as much before I even asked the question. What are you guys using as your primary belt grinder? I was looking at a few of the pro ones. Like the one from Drakon forge. Think that's about 8k

User

Quote Originally Posted by geoffy View Post
    Not affiliated in any way but stumbled across this on facebook and your profile says you're in CT so might be worth checking out the Cape Town Knife Show this weekend? The ad says they're going to have knifemaking equipment there.
    https://www.facebook.com/CapeTownKni...ARZqejWcwzgM2l
    That's would've loved to go. It's not too far from me but I'm working saturday and shooting Sunday.

Manny when I started due to a mate of mine he leant me a Makiti belt sander (100mm x 610mm). I made a few knives on it, challenging but doable. He produced in excess of 40 on the unit. Point here is anything can be used including totally manually.

The Ryobi unit or the Adendorf units are usable for sure, albeit slow. You can get better quality belts for them (KMTS or Zee's knife supplies I think). Quite a few videos on YouTube about using these units. If you did upgrade in time I think the smaller unit would still be useful for detailing handles etc plus a myriad of other tasks.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Manny when I started due to a mate of mine he leant me a Makiti belt sander (100mm x 610mm). I made a few knives on it, challenging but doable. He produced in excess of 40 on the unit. Point here is anything can be used including totally manually.

The Ryobi unit or the Adendorf units are usable for sure, albeit slow. You can get better quality belts for them (KMTS or Zee's knife supplies I think). Quite a few videos on YouTube about using these units. If you did upgrade in time I think the smaller unit would still be useful for detailing handles etc plus a myriad of other tasks.
    Thanks Daavg I will have a look on the Tube. Just don't want to drop 8k and then find out it's not for me. But also don't want to jump in struggling with hand tools only. That alone might put you off

User

The small Ryobi machine is probably a good buy. It should get you going, but it will definitely be slow.

My son became interested in knife making a while ago. He made his first blades with the tools in my workshop, but the finish was not to his liking. Then he pestered me with pictures of all the nice belt grinders available everywhere. We discussed the pros and cons of each one, and he noted that they were not exactly what he wanted and cost too much for him.

I then suggested that he should build one to his specs. At first he was sceptical, having never done such a big project, but as his plans developed he became more enthusiastic.

When I found a scrapped pump with 2.2kW single phase motor, his plans got momentum. It took a few tries to get the belt grinder working right, but he did it, with some help. Only the bearings and grinding belts were bought, the rest was all built from salvaged steel and other parts. I have a lathe, so that helped in making the pulleys and wheels.

A lucky find was the wheel from a pallet trolley, which, after some reshaping, became the belt pulley needed to do hollow grinds.

He has built more than 20 knives already and sold a few of them. The proceeds of the sales go into new tools and materials.

He has recently built his second, improved forge, capable of making Damascus. Guess what his next project will be?

The road to success was not without some bumps. One day he tried hard to burn the whole workshop down...

You may want to take a different route, but this is what I observed first hand, and it worked out rather well.

Banned

Manny, I have made a few knives over the last thirty years using everything from a hacksaw and file to forging and also stock removal.

Assuming that you are new to the game with zero or very little experience, here are some ideas:

- do a course; it gives ideas, teaches techniques and opens the mind to possibilities (no use reinventing the wheel if you can pay someone to teach you the shorter way)

- the two-inch (50mm) belt grinder works better, at least for beginners. It works more even than the one inch (25mm) belt grinder.

- take your time when working with metal. Practice on mild steel until you get it right. It is much easier and cheaper.

- Have a look on JunkMail and similar websites. Sometimes, one gets a good belt grinder for a good or even great price.

- After you have done a course you would know what you need and like. I have a 30cm grinding wheel, but still need a flat grind table as well as a small (5cm or 10cm) wheel.

- Like A-R suggests, you can diy a grinding machine. Gert Odendaal built his own and put up quite a few photos on the forum.

User

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The small Ryobi machine is probably a good buy. It should get you going, but it will definitely be slow.

My son became interested in knife making a while ago. He made his first blades with the tools in my workshop, but the finish was not to his liking. Then he pestered me with pictures of all the nice belt grinders available everywhere. We discussed the pros and cons of each one, and he noted that they were not exactly what he wanted and cost too much for him.

I then suggested that he should build one to his specs. At first he was sceptical, having never done such a big project, but as his plans developed he became more enthusiastic.

When I found a scrapped pump with 2.2kW single phase motor, his plans got momentum. It took a few tries to get the belt grinder working right, but he did it, with some help. Only the bearings and grinding belts were bought, the rest was all built from salvaged steel and other parts. I have a lathe, so that helped in making the pulleys and wheels.

A lucky find was the wheel from a pallet trolley, which, after some reshaping, became the belt pulley needed to do hollow grinds.

He has built more than 20 knives already and sold a few of them. The proceeds of the sales go into new tools and materials.

He has recently built his second, improved forge, capable of making Damascus. Guess what his next project will be?

The road to success was not without some bumps. One day he tried hard to burn the whole workshop down...

You may want to take a different route, but this is what I observed first hand, and it worked out rather well.
    Thanks AR. That seems like a option if I feel it's something I would like to carry on with. Just dipping my toes at the right now. I just watched a video on YouTube where a guy makes use of a "cheap" entry level belt grinder almost identical the the Ryobi/Abendorf) and mild steel. Slow but it got the job done. Although I have been looking at the larger 100mmx914mm options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast