Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User

Default Re: Starter belt grinder for knife making as hobby

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Manny, I have made a few knives over the last thirty years using everything from a hacksaw and file to forging and also stock removal.

Assuming that you are new to the game with zero or very little experience, here are some ideas:

- do a course; it gives ideas, teaches techniques and opens the mind to possibilities (no use reinventing the wheel if you can pay someone to teach you the shorter way)

- the two-inch (50mm) belt grinder works better, at least for beginners. It works more even than the one inch (25mm) belt grinder.

- take your time when working with metal. Practice on mild steel until you get it right. It is much easier and cheaper.

- Have a look on JunkMail and similar websites. Sometimes, one gets a good belt grinder for a good or even great price.

- After you have done a course you would know what you need and like. I have a 30cm grinding wheel, but still need a flat grind table as well as a small (5cm or 10cm) wheel.

- Like A-R suggests, you can diy a grinding machine. Gert Odendaal built his own and put up quite a few photos on the forum.
    Thanks DsJ. A course is on my list, though I haven't looked at options yet. I also have a bunch of books I'm working through. But you know how it is. You want to jump in and see what it's about. If it's for you,and if you can do it.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

User

Walter Sorrells on Youtube is a gold mine of info... Covers literally everything about knife making...

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Walter Sorrells on Youtube is a gold mine of info... Covers literally everything about knife making...
    Will check him out thanks

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2