Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Feral pigs

User

Default Re: Feral pigs

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    What kind of dishes to they do with badgers? Is it a big thing, or a rural indulgence?
    It's definitely a delicacy. I've seen a couple of online Shops advertise badger meat, but it's not a common occurrence.

Badger ham seems to be popular among the people who do eat it. From what I remember from the hunting license course, they require a lot of preparation to make them palatable. For one , only the younger ones a destined for the freezer, and even then you have to be quick to remove the musk glands.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    If tag a pig here, we are obligated to have it tested for Trichinosis and more recently for African Swine flu. The state pays for the test, and also for the disposal of an infected carcass.

For own consumption you can get away with not doing the test, but no game dealer is going to accept a pig carcass without an all clear from the state vet.

Interestingly enough, same applies for badgers, as they are considered edible here.
    Forgot to add, in some parts of Germany the pigs also need to be tested tor Cesium 137. (Due to Chernobyl)

User

Over here where I hunt pigs get gutted and chopped up after the hunt and they go into the freezer for 2 weeks - the main worry is Trichinosis - you can take a piece of the lung and diaphragm to the lab and have it tested if you want to make dried ham.

Skaaphaas - In Europe it isn't feral pigs - it is wild boars. All black/gray when grown. Feral pigs are multicoloured.

Fair enough. I’ve read enough Asterix and Obelix that I should know this.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    That would be a bushpig rather than feral in all likelihood. Cane-fed bushpig is the finest (game) meat. Especially spit-roasted.
    Missed this thread somehow. Cane fed bush pig is indeed very good game meat. Cane rat as well, unless from an area with out cane, like marshes, then they are just rats.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Desperatezulu View Post
    That would be a bushpig rather than feral in all likelihood. Cane-fed bushpig is the finest (game) meat. Especially spit-roasted.
    You aren't wrong about the deliciousness of cane fed bushies but this really was a feral porker.

User

Cane fed interests me big time. Like Karoo lamb.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4