Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Feral pigs

Default Re: Feral pigs

DIY mostly. The south african butcher here in my town will do game processing but I get the idea it’s sort of under the radar. He also mentioned he doesn’t like the smell of the game meat curing in his shop.

But for the most part, just like washing our cars and mowing our lawns, it’s all done at home.

If my neighbours knew I had a deer hanging from a block and tackle in my garage and bleeding into a bucket they’d probably have a fit :-)
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Chops in curry, onions, vinegar and sugar are great

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Brucellosis and Q fever, apparently. As far as I am aware if you avoid the gut contents you’re mostly okay, and freezing the meat for two weeks, and proper cooking, is adequate safeguard against 99% of what you can get from them.
    Yeah we have always cooked pork very well in our family because of this, even farmed pork.
    The Jews had it right!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Brucellosis and Q fever, apparently. As far as I am aware if you avoid the gut contents you’re mostly okay, and freezing the meat for two weeks, and proper cooking, is adequate safeguard against 99% of what you can get from them.
    If tag a pig here, we are obligated to have it tested for Trichinosis and more recently for African Swine flu. The state pays for the test, and also for the disposal of an infected carcass.

For own consumption you can get away with not doing the test, but no game dealer is going to accept a pig carcass without an all clear from the state vet.

Interestingly enough, same applies for badgers, as they are considered edible here.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    Yeah we have always cooked pork very well in our family because of this, even farmed pork.
    The Jews had it right!
    In Germany and Poland there is a dish called Mett.

It's raw pork, minced very fine. Normally served with a bun (Brötchen) and diced onion, along with salt and pepper. Makes for a hearty breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

It's raw pork, minced very fine. Normally served with a bun (Brötchen) and diced onion, along with salt and pepper. Makes for a hearty breakfast.
    I suppose that's where the name for our local wurst we make comes from, "Mettwurst" ! Also made with raw pork, but it gets smoked.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    I ate some from a sow shot on a cane farm in KZN. Was as good as any meat I've ever eaten. Juicy and absolutely delicious.
    That would be a bushpig rather than feral in all likelihood. Cane-fed bushpig is the finest (game) meat. Especially spit-roasted.

User

If tag a pig here, we are obligated to have it tested for Trichinosis and more recently for African Swine flu. The state pays for the test, and also for the disposal of an infected carcass.

For own consumption you can get away with not doing the test, but no game dealer is going to accept a pig carcass without an all clear from the state vet.

Interestingly enough, same applies for badgers, as they are considered edible here.
    What kind of dishes to they do with badgers? Is it a big thing, or a rural indulgence?

User

Quote Originally Posted by aimpoint View Post
    I suppose that's where the name for our local wurst we make comes from, "Mettwurst" ! Also made with raw pork, but it gets smoked.

Exactly where it comes from. As you mentioned the Mettwurst is normally smoked and contains some salt and maybe some spices and pepper.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast