User

Default Never over salt your biltong again

For those that would like to try their hand at making their own biltong at home but don't know where to start or how much salt to use etc, here's a really simple guide and salt/spice calculator.

https://twoguysandacooler.com/wprm_print/4603

Just add the weight of your meat and it works out the ratios.

Here's the video of the process:

I have used his recipe (using Kudu instead of beef and apple cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar) and it came out perfectly. I've made biltong before but this one was the best so far.

Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-A315F using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Never over salt your biltong again

We have reached a low point when we need an American tell us how to make biltong. In fairness this guy even pronounced the word right and he did it with a pattern forged knife.

User

As a troep at the service of a bunch of generals at SANDF DHQ in the 80's I was tasked with setting up a biltong drying room to sort their bag. Turns out that the old soap store which I bug proofed and wired up with fans wasn't the answer. The meat drippings liberated the essence from decades of soap in the concrete slab and flavoured the meat in a way that reflected poorly on me and my SM.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    We have reached a low point when we need an American tell us how to make biltong. In fairness this guy even pronounced the word right and he did it with a pattern forged knife.
    I sat through a ridiculous number of South African youtubers doing biltong recipes (poorly) before finding his. I liked his presentation style and the fact that he knows a thing or two about curing meat and that he treats biltong with the respect it deserves.

He has a follow up video where he makes pemmican using biltong dust and tallow which apparently has a shelf storage life of 50years.

Thanks for sharing

User

Thanks for sharing. In my curing books, speaking off the top of my head salt has to be a minimum of 2% of weight of meat to cure it and I think the upper limit is 3% before it becomes to salty.

I find 2% good for my taste in biltong and bacon.

User

Quote Originally Posted by holdingthezero View Post
    I sat through a ridiculous number of South African youtubers doing biltong recipes (poorly) before finding his. I liked his presentation style and the fact that he knows a thing or two about curing meat and that he treats biltong with the respect it deserves.

He has a follow up video where he makes pemmican using biltong dust and tallow which apparently has a shelf storage life of 50years.
    Apologies if my comment came across as critical of the content. No argument with anything he presented, nor with how he did it.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Apologies if my comment came across as critical of the content. No argument with anything he presented, nor with how he did it.
    No need to apologise. I didn't take it that way and didn't intend for my reply to give that impression.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    Thanks for sharing. In my curing books, speaking off the top of my head salt has to be a minimum of 2% of weight of meat to cure it and I think the upper limit is 3% before it becomes to salty.

I find 2% good for my taste in biltong and bacon.
    Yes the 2% of meat weight is referred to as equilibrium curing and it suits my family's tastes as well.

User

That was actually well executed and presented really well.