Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default POSTAL SHOOT COMPETITIONS

I AM A MEMBER OF A PROMINENT "POSTAL-SHOOT" ASSOCIATION FOR TEN YEARS NOW. I HAVE TAKEN PART IN THEIR ANNUAL POSTAL SHOOT COMPETITION EVERY YEAR AS PART OF MAINTAINING MY DEDICATED SPORT & HUNT SHOOTER STATUS.

AS PER EVERY YEAR, I AM AMAZED AT THE PROFICIENCY OF MY FELLOW MEMBERS AND CONTESTANTS IN THESE COMPETITIONS. IN SOME INSTANCES, REALLY UNBELIEVABLE STUFF! THESE GUYS SHOULD BE REPRESENTING OUR COUNTRY (OR MAYBE THEY ARE?) BASED ON THE RESULTS POSTED. WELL DONE GUYS!

HOWEVER THERE IS A LITTLE DEVIL ON MY SHOULDER THAT CONTINUALLY INCITES ME TO ASK THE QUESTION: HOW WOULD THESE "TOP GUNS" FARE AT A REAL ORGANISED COMPETITION WHERE CONTESTANTS, CONDITIONS AND EXERCISES ARE SUBJECT TO REAL-TIME CONTROL, SUPERVISION AND EVALUATION BY ACTUAL PEOPLE PRESENT.

JUST A THOUGHT......

THESE POSTAL ORGANISATIONS PROVIDE AN EXCELLENT SERVICE IN GENERAL, AND I AM IN NO WAY CRITICIZING OR QUESTIONING THEIR METHODS, RULES, SERVICES ETC. I AM GRATEFUL FOR THEIR EXISTENCE.

User

Default Re: POSTAL SHOOT COMPETITIONS

Some people will cheat at anything if they think they can get away with it. Given the nature of the Natshoot postal system it seems unlikely that there isn't at least some cheating going on.

User

Indeed, 5 bulls eyes should be witnessed by range officer, not just a stamped target thereafter. No where near top 10, enjoyed participating though. Happy to pay towards good cause.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
    Indeed, 5 bulls eyes should be witnessed by range officer, not just a stamped target thereafter. No where near top 10, enjoyed participating though. Happy to pay towards good cause.
    Couldn't agree more. I'm a black belt Natshoot fan. What I get for my tiny annual subscription is phenomenal.

User

I think what you say does have a hint of truth. There are some very very good shots in this country though. Earlier this year I had the pleasure of meeting DJ Van Zyl, extraordinary long range shooter. At an event in May, he shot these groups, using a 338 Lapua. So, it can be done, but it's few and far between.

User

I didn't even make the lists! I am very happy with there service!

I sent in honest targets (hence why I didn't even make the list), but yes it wpuld ve very easy to cheat.

I am aware that a few years ago they suspended members for cheating though. There was a whole rigmarole around it.

I do find some of the top results very very suspect.

BUT, one thing to keep in mind. In a 'real' competition you get your target, shoot your score, and that is that.

With a postal competition you get as many do overs as you want. You can sit all day and shoot 100 targets and submit the best one.

It's like playing golf, but you get to retake each shot as many times as you want. Eventually you'll score 20 under par.

User

To be honest I believe most people just take part for their annual event points. If you are however competing for prizes one would think that honor would be enough to prevent people from posting false results. There are however many people who do not live by a code.

Quote Originally Posted by Koekie Monster View Post
    To be honest I believe most people just take part for their annual event points. If you are however competing for prizes one would think that honor would be enough to prevent people from posting false results. There are however many people who do not live by a code.
    Sometimes people who cheat get caught with severe consequences:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id...nament-charged

User

Quote Originally Posted by Welshman View Post
    Range officers don't have the time or interest to keep up with your every move when there are 10 shooters on the range all doing their own thing. It would be very easy to cheat, but what's the point. Bragging rights at the next braai. Also you can should as many groups as you like but you only submit the best group. At least it gives you something to test yourself against and goes to maintaining your dedicated statuses.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast