Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default My .404 Jeffery is home.

Finally! My .404 Jeffery is in my own safe!

Have not found the time to go and shoot it yet. Hopefully over the weekend. It came with some ammo from the previous owner loaded with 350 gr Peregrine VRG 3 bullets. I will just use them as is. Unfortunately I could not contact the original owner as I bought the rifle from his deceased estate via a dealer so have no idea about the powder used and quantities.

It is open sighted, but I am going to fit a scope. My Brother gave me a huge present! A Kahles Helia 4x36. It is a real classic scope and will work perfectly for my general hunting intent suited for the calibre. That scope is seriously top class clear.

For follow up work or when hunting really close (Bushpig, Kudu in the riverine bush etc) I will use it open sighted. My eyes are still good and I should have no problems with open sights and decent placement of shots to 80 m or so. Practice will be needed on a new rifle to get it right.

Scope mounting?? The rifle is build on a CZ550 Safari Magnum action. I need to find QD mounts for a CZ 550 and 25 mm tube. I have not searched a lot on the web yet. The only I can see that might work is from Warne USA. Will they be strong enough for big bore recoil and hold and repeat zero on detachment and re attachment? Reviews on USA sites seems they will do, but comments or ideas will be appreciated.

I also need a Canvas rifle sling. Where do I find these that will be strong enough and not costing thousands. The rifle is heavy. Wallnut stock, 26 Inch barrel, Magnum action... Have not weighed it, but definitely not a Tikka or Howa 1500 with synthetic stock . So the sling need to be decent quality.

Lets hope I get time over the weekend to shoot it and hunt a warthog.

Default Re: My .404 Jeffery is home.

Congratulations, enjoy your new rifle and post some pictures. I use Warne rings on .375 H&H and .416 rem mag. Never had a problem. Return to zero is good enough for bushveld use.

Just check that the Kahles have a 1" tube and not a 26mm tube. I recently mounted a S&B 4x36 on my 9.3x62 and found out the hard way that it had a 26mm tube. It is a great scope but the tube diameter limits you a lot as far as scope rings is concerned.

User

Congratulations on a fine rifle.
    As soon as you’re ready to load for the old gal, give me a shout, have just the right bullet and loads for her

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Thanks TStone, will try to get some photos loaded when having better time to figure it out again.

You had me immediately taking my Vernier to the scope. 25,3 mm. 1 inch tube then. If Warne work for you, it will for me. Appreciate your honest and practical input.

458 Exp. I will take you up on your offer when the time comes, thanks. With the rifle came 80 x Norma brass and the 38 complete rounds of ammo. Also some Spartan and Peregrine bullets. About 200 of them in total. I will load it with S365. I have stock of it and is what I use for my 30-06 and 6,5x55 also. With the rifle also came a Hornady die set and I have a Lee Classic Cast press, so will easily manage to work with the huge brass buckets.

From what I have read, the 26" barrel does not increase velocity as much over shorter ones when compared with smaller calibers, but I am still content to have mine in 26". I don't plan on trying to make a 416 Rigby velocity chaser from it, so hope to get 2000-2150 fps from it without loading too hard. 350 gr at 2000 fps is more than enough gun for the stuff I hunt. When I get used to it and start planning for Buffalo and/or Elephant I will see where I can get to with 400 gr then. On my hunting menu for the next year will only be Eland, Kudu and maybe BWB. Might take an Impala or two also with the 404 just to get the hang of it. Should it not be cloudy with the next full moon I must put in a few late nights and flatten a bushpig. Dreams and time.... Wish those two where more compatible.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Nice. Ive always wanted one myself, a real Africa calibre
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

A synthetic sling is not traditional, but it deals much better with a heavy rifle in that it has a slight stretch and bigger area on the shoulder that makes for easier carrying. Leather and canvas can be very abrasive.

User

I can assist with load data for 400g Woodleigh

User

Congrats! I second that the Warne will be fine - have used them with no issues on my 416 Rigby and 9.3 for years.

That barrel sounds very long, and as you say, the Jeff is not a calibre to be chasing velocity with. Depending on how it balances and the collectability of the rifle, it may be worth lopping off 3-4" some time. It will help reduce the weight slightly and make the gun much more handy.

User

Quote Originally Posted by 458Exp View Post
    Congratulations on a fine rifle.
    As soon as you’re ready to load for the old gal, give me a shout, have just the right bullet and loads for her

For me, the 404 and the 470 NE are the prettiest cartridges out there.

Banned

With the 26 inch barrel 2300fps comes in at a low 40K psi pressure with a 400gr Woodleigh.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast