Banned

Default CBC Mod 122 - trigger job possible!

Good evening Folks,

The CBC Mod 122 has a terrible trigger, and it is not adjustable. It has a long fore-pull, and a heavyish release. This, together with a rough finish and loose fitting parts make for a less than optimal rifle.

Since I use mine to teach my children to shoot, I had to make a plan because their fingers are too weak to obtain good accuracy.

When studying this schematic ( https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/cbc/122-cbc ) and the physical parts of the rifle, one realises that polishing etc wouldn't help either.

The biggest trouble is the stiff spring.

I found a solution when I realised that both rearward legs of the spring ran below the crosspiece which houses the safety. One leg is hooked onto the rear part of the action, and the other presses upward against the crosspiece. This causes the spring to work with full power.

Taking it all apart, I reassembled it with the loose leg of the spring on top of the cross piece instead of below it.

Trigger pull is still long, but roughly third to half less of the original pull weight.

User

Default Re: CBC Mod 122 - trigger job possible!

The sketch is a bit difficult to assess on a phone, I'll look to see if it is clearer on a pc.
    Where does the trigger or trigger sear interface and release from, is it by contact on part 37 (lower left on angled face as per pic) or otherwise?
    Alternatively, the sear to bolt interface needs tweaking to lighten.

The heavy release can possibly be tweaked to lighter by changing the interface angles, a similar principle as with the Lee Enfield trigger pull lightening but the bolt and sear are re-profiled.

The length of pull is generally difficult to change but lightening is possible?

Mine (LE 6mm Musgrave) is now a hair trigger, possibly too light for others so I need to work it back a bit for other shooters.

Banned

The trigger looks like a T, with a hole drilled at the junction, allowing it to swivel. The front part of the T presses down on the safety bar, which in turn fits into the trigger mechanism. (The front of part no 37 fits into the slot of part no 35.)

The safety bar forms part of the trigger setup, and the rifle cannot fire without it.

User

The CBC 122 seems to be a copy of a Remington mod 511 or similar.
    Maybe have a look at the Remington trigger options and mods to get other ideas?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    The CBC 122 seems to be a copy of a Remington mod 511 or similar.
    Maybe have a look at the Remington trigger options and mods to get other ideas?
    Good morning A-R, the trigger mechanisms do not look and work the same for the Rem 511 and CBC 122. The bolt look the same but the rest differs.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/category/rifles-rem/511

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    Good morning A-R, the trigger mechanisms do not look and work the same for the Rem 511 and CBC 122. The bolt look the same but the rest differs.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/category/rifles-rem/511
    Goeiemôre Ds J!

My apologies, I just looked at the similar external features of the barrelled actions and assumed they would copy the internals too.

Those protrusions to the front and rear of the trigger lever pivot point, are these the stops? If so, could they be built up and filed to size to provide take-up and over-travel stops?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by A-R View Post
    Goeiemôre Ds J!

My apologies, I just looked at the similar external features of the barrelled actions and assumed they would copy the internals too.

Those protrusions to the front and rear of the trigger lever pivot point, are these the stops? If so, could they be built up and filed to size to provide take-up and over-travel stops?
    I made the same mistake and almost ordered a new Remington bolt

The protrusion to the front presses downward on the front piece of the safety bar (no 37). The take-up is a direct result of the spring, and not the tiger's shape, similar to a Lee Enfield action. My engineering abilities are not good enough to say whether another spring might help.

The rearward protrusion does not have a function that I know of.

Hi, I recieved a CBC122 when I turned 10. 25 years later I decided to improve its horible trigger. If you file and polish the shear and trigger contact points you can get it to break cleanly (take your time, be carefull not to remove too much material). I bent and adjusted the trigger spring to lighten the take-up tension. This improved the accuracy from 50mm group to +-15mm at 50m.

Banned

I weighed the trigger and it broke at an average of 1.5kg. This should be more than good enough for young children to learn shooting, or does some have better advice?