Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Olight vs Emalent

Olightstore.co.za is the official.

Olightsa used to be part of TorchSA, before Olightstore.co.za became the official store.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Olightstore would be the official one.

Otherwise work through Duane at 480BC (if he still deals in Olight).

I’m an Olight fan myself and have too many of them, but after having done Nitecore and Olight, I settled on Olight. Far more innovation and UI’s that are getting standardised, where I needed to learn the UI of every new Nitecore I got.
    I believe he stopped stocking Olight when they bypassed local resellers or something of the sort. Think he posted something here about it.

Good points re the UI. I hadn't thought about that much and I've been hankering for a larger carry light that isn't an Olight. However, taking the commonality in usability across the entire range into account I might just stick to the Olights.

Guess I have to wait another 364 days for BF deals.

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Guess I have to wait another 364 days for BF deals.
    You'll be glad to hear that they have huge sales all the time :)

User

Quote Originally Posted by str8shootr View Post
    It's not what they do it's what they are. Had to unsubscribe from their mailers as I prefer my spam to be about stuff I don't want.

User

Quote Originally Posted by str8shootr View Post
    It's more about impulse control. Something a sorely lacked when browsing the Taakmag website...

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    It's not what they do it's what they are. Had to unsubscribe from their mailers as I prefer my spam to be about stuff I don't want.
    I must admit, they have a really aggressive digital marketing marketing model. The ads instantly follow you after just a single site visit!

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    It's more about impulse control.
    Touche

User

I have several Olights. I only had one fail on me (a Perun headtorch - first model - the control button lost it's mind) and it was replaced by TorchSA at the time with the next generation of that model, the Perun 2. A really great headtorch (with a kak headband). I use it daily with Eksdom's efforts.

My only concern and it seems to be across the entire range of Olights is that every model uses a battery that has been customised for that model only. So, if I go through enough charging cycles with say my Seeker 2 Pro, eventually, as battery lifetime diminishes, I am going to want a new 21700 battery for the Seeker 2 and I cannot use e.g. a spare 21700 that I might have for my Perun 2. I have to get the replacement from Olight for my exact flashlight model. I believe it may be the case that any old 21700 would perhaps power the flashlight, but the in-built charging with the magnetic clip cable will not charge a third party battery. I'm not 100% sure about this aspect though.

I am very impressed with the brightness of both the Perun 2 (2500 lumens max) and the Seeker 2 Pro (3200 lumens). The latter has already been superceded with version 3. Not sure about the Perun.

I have never encountered an Emalent flashlight. Who knows, there could be common components with several other manufacturers in China.

Olight was very smart with their proprietery batteries. They only brought them in after achieving significant market penetration. If they did it at the start I don’t think they would have made it as far as they did.

Even so, they use existing battery formats, adapted to work with their magnetic chargers. A generic battery of the same size and specs should power the light, but the magnetic charging, tape switches etc won’t work.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2