Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    User

Default Re: Advice hunting knife steel and design.

It is a good value package that works as well as much more expensive sets and it is more convenient to use.

I found that on narrow blades like Victorinox it is better to use 22 degree angle setting otherwise the jaws will be shaved as weel as the knife edge.

I like 20 degree setting on pocket knives and 25 degree on hunting knives.

Next I suggest you invest in the Work Sharp Angle Set for regular and quick touch-up work. It is more versatile than the Spyderco Sharpmaker (which I have been using for a decade or two form the first release model to the current model.)

Keep away form round ceramic rods as they will round of (blunt) the sharp tip of your knife.

Here is a comparison between Work Sharp and Spydie

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post

Thanks for the tip. I took the basic model. I'll upgrade to the extra grit option as and wenn required.

I just put a micro bevel on the Mora in what seemed to be under 7 minutes. It's now razor sharp.

Works much better than the Lansky I have.
    If you know how to set up the lansky correctly, you will have an edge that will be razor sharp. It took me some time to figure out what works, and now I sharpen blades from 2inches (pocket/kitchen knives) to 12 inches (butcher knives) easily.

Ive got the 5 stone set, and the deal maker - always strop after you are done - you will see an immediate effect

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by Mahomedy13 View Post
    If you know how to set up the lansky correctly, you will have an edge that will be razor sharp. It took me some time to figure out what works, and now I sharpen blades from 2inches (pocket/kitchen knives) to 12 inches (butcher knives) easily.

Ive got the 5 stone set, and the deal maker - always strop after you are done - you will see an immediate effect

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
    Couldn't agree more. It's cheaper and fiddlier but a little time and experimentation mean you can make knives just as sharp. That being said a few quality whetstones do the same.

User

Quote Originally Posted by oafpatroll View Post
    Couldn't agree more. It's cheaper and fiddlier but a little time and experimentation mean you can make knives just as sharp. That being said a few quality whetstones do the same.
    It's the fiddling that got to me. :)

I also tried whetstones and buggered up a couple of knives with them. I just don't have the knack / talent / call it what you like/ for the sharpening that way. Maybe if I did it more frequently I could attain some sort of proficiency, but at this stage I prefer the knife sharpening equivalent of paint-by-numbers.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5