Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Anyone in the Tyre business?

We drive a Nissan Patrol station wagon on the dirt roads in the Molopo/Kalahari.

The roads get worked over two or three times a year, so they are generally in a bad shape.

I use Wiindforce Catchforce AT, size 285/75/16. In almost six years I have lost just one tyre. The tyres give an easy 60 000km, and two of them are in need of replacement after 80 000km.

I would suggest having a look at 235/85/16. They are popular in our area.

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    We drive a Nissan Patrol station wagon on the dirt roads in the Molopo/Kalahari.

The roads get worked over two or three times a year, so they are generally in a bad shape.

I use Wiindforce Catchforce AT, size 285/75/16. In almost six years I have lost just one tyre. The tyres give an easy 60 000km, and two of them are in need of replacement after 80 000km.

I would suggest having a look at 235/85/16. They are popular in our area.
    Solid info here but not the better option for this specific vehicle and how it is used most of the time.
    On the 110 it is better suited.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

Banned

Have you asked the friendly folks on the SA 4x4 forum? They are generally very knowledgeable and helpful.

User

Quote Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
    I need more input on this:
    285/75/16 vs 265/75/16

(ignore brand of tyre or keep it BFG)
    285/75 is broader & also higher profile
    285/75 will affect your ratio against the 265/75

A/T will have less road noise than a M/T

Generally if you do offroading, you tend to drop the pressure of a tyre which might make the tyre wider so check for clearance.

Question
    1. What vehicle is it?
    2. How often do you drive gravel?

Banned

Specifically heavy-duty SUV and overlanding.

I am tired of getting vague answers elsewhere.
    The folks of the Patrol Klub tend to put on the biggest tyres they can. Theoretically, larger tyres make for a softer ride because they sink less into corrugations and small holes.

Have a look at this for a visual comparison:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

The side walls is usually where one gets the most/worst damage. For heavy work I would look for extra thick side walls on the tyres,

Some farmers in our area use high, narrow tyres (235/85/16) for hard field work because the side walls are tough.

Specifically heavy-duty SUV and overlanding.

I am tired of getting vague answers elsewhere.
    I've done a lot of overlanding in Southern Africa, and tried a few options over the years. There is only one tyre that covered all the bases for me and gave the least problems with very long service. That is BFG - the AT. Even more so if you have a heavier vehicle. We can get into rim sizes and tyre profiles, and there are many trains of thought, especially with modern SUV's traction control auto differential locks etc etc, but go for a smaller rim size (if your vehicle can accept it) and a larger profile. I used 33" BFG's on my vehicle and they were head and shoulders above anything else I'd used.

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcam View Post
    285/75 is broader & also higher profile
    285/75 will affect your ratio against the 265/75

A/T will have less road noise than a M/T

Generally if you do offroading, you tend to drop the pressure of a tyre which might make the tyre wider so check for clearance.

Question
    1. What vehicle is it?
    2. How often do you drive gravel?

I am looking at AT only.

LC VX 100.

Thank you for the lower pressure note. I have not tested the 285 at pressure like 1.5 .

Not often but want tho know I can do so without worry when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Springer View Post
    I've done a lot of overlanding in Southern Africa, and tried a few options over the years. There is only one tyre that covered all the bases for me and gave the least problems with very long service. That is BFG - the AT. Even more so if you have a heavier vehicle. We can get into rim sizes and tyre profiles, and there are many trains of thought, especially with modern SUV's traction control auto differential locks etc etc, but go for a smaller rim size (if your vehicle can accept it) and a larger profile. I used 33" BFG's on my vehicle and they were head and shoulders above anything else I'd used.
    I am going BFG.
    I have tried 17 and 18 and the best ride was OEM 16 so i am staying at 16. I also found that 16 is the more popular size north of the border.

The 285 just looks so damn nice and this is my issue with all else being equal I can't seem to decide between the 285 vs the 265.
    I have a very good experience with the outgoing 265s with only one puncture ( that occurred in the city with a nail on a plank in an industrial park).

I am looking at reasons the 285 will be a bad choice.
    One is that it is not an easily available stock size while the 265 is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ds J View Post
    The folks of the Patrol Klub tend to put on the biggest tyres they can. Theoretically, larger tyres make for a softer ride because they sink less into corrugations and small holes.

Have a look at this for a visual comparison:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/

The side walls is usually where one gets the most/worst damage. For heavy work I would look for extra thick side walls on the tyres,

Some farmers in our area use high, narrow tyres (235/85/16) for hard field work because the side walls are tough.
    As I mentioned solid advice but not pertinent to the question.

I am going BFG.I have tried 17 and 18 and the best ride was OEM 16 so i am staying at 16. I also found that 16 is the more popular size north of the border.The 285 just looks so damn nice and this is my issue with all else being equal I can't seem to decide between the 285 vs the 265.I have a very good experience with the outgoing 265s with only one puncture ( that occurred in the city with a nail on a plank in an industrial park).I am looking at reasons the 285 will be a bad choice. One is that it is not an easily available stock size while the 265 is.
    Yes I stuck with 16" on my 105 and my 80 series. 16's offer far better footprint on deflation when required. There is very little difference between the 265 and 285 (some may argue fuel economy, but negligible in my opinion), but my views, however impractical they may be, is that when tyres need to show their worth, the more surface area on the gravel, the better. But yes, your point about stock availability is valid - I always carried 2 spares on extended trips for this reason - you know the story... two is one and one is none.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast