Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Battery replacement question

Ok, so my question relates to replacing batteries in UPS's and Inverters.

Is it ok to replace a battery - for example a 12V 9Ah - with a battery that has either a higher voltage or amperage?

As I understand it, higher amperage should give a longer run time, no?

High school was many years ago.

User

Default Re: Battery replacement question

Voltage is dictated by what the system required to operate, this should remain the same.
    Increasing the current rating will increase the run time, but they batteries should all have the same rating and preferably replaced at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Ok, so my question relates to replacing batteries in UPS's and Inverters.

Is it ok to replace a battery - for example a 12V 9Ah - with a battery that has either a higher voltage or amperage?

As I understand it, higher amperage should give a longer run time, no?

High school was many years ago.
    Correct , higher A rating equals longer running time. But the question is: can your current onboard charger fully charge the bigger battery?

I have seen several several batteries of the same size as a 7Ahr that is marked 9 Ahr but some suppliers change the " power delivery" time. Some times the weight of a battery can be a indicator, the heavier the battery, the more lead and more lead is better.
    Have you thought about a Lithium battery
    as replacement? They last a lot longer and can be deeper discharged without any damage.

User

Be careful when replacing lead acid batteries with lithium batteries in older type ups systems. A lot of the lithium batteries of that footprint size can not be placed in series and parallel as required by the ups configuration (power rated size dependant). Check this before committing. Chargers also vary according to design parameters.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to do a direct replacement and not get involved in any funny business.

I briefly considered the lithium's but the cost difference is not really palatable for the intended use.

User

Load shedding be what it is, my December battery replacement has to repeated once again!

Such is life.

However, I wanted to follow up on the lithium battery option for the garage door motor.

The motor takes two 12v 1.4ah lead acid batteries in series. Is there a BlueNova drop in replacement for this arrangement?

User

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceOfficer View Post
    Load shedding be what it is, my December battery replacement has to repeated once again!Such is life.However, I wanted to follow up on the lithium battery option for the garage door motor.The motor takes two 12v 1.4ah lead acid batteries in series. Is there a BlueNova drop in replacement for this arrangement?
    Found this on Takealot:https://www.takealot.com/24v-3-4ah-g...BoCNHAQAvD_BwE

User

https://redpoleenergy.co.za/product/...thium-battery/

This site has it cheaper and also has an option of a 24v 12ah battery

Neither are blue nova

The brand is red pole energy

I don't have any experience with their batteries

Use at your own risk

User

I have found a couple of times that if the Lithium 's onboard bms (battery management system) switch off point is higher than the device's switch off point, the Lithium sort of dies and will not take any charge anymore. To wake it up again I take a second charged battery (any 12v will do), parallel the 2, connect the charger to them and after a minute you can remove the spare battery and the flattish Lithium will keep on charging.

NB the battery in a gate or garagedoor motor is only there to open/close once or twice before it will start to negatively influence its life.

A gate motor pulls about 10A continuous and starts up at about 19A. For the motor manufacturer to install a power supply, able to regularly work at that load, it will cost a lot more than fitting a small trickle charger and a small battery and you loose the sales pitch of "battery backup". How many guys replace the battery regularly? And so everybody eats. LoL

The big advsntage is that the Lithium can be drained a lot lower and many times more before they fail. Except the nuisance where the bms "trips"

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post

NB the battery in a gate or garagedoor motor is only there to open/close once or twice before it will start to negatively influence its life.

A gate motor pulls about 10A continuous and starts up at about 19A. For the motor manufacturer to install a power supply, able to regularly work at that load, it will cost a lot more than fitting a small trickle charger and a small battery and you loose the sales pitch of "battery backup". How many guys replace the battery regularly? And so everybody eats. LoL
    You are missing one important point here. How long does it take for your gate to open? 30s. So draining 10A for 30s is the equivalent of 0.08AH (10Ax30s/3600s). A battery rated at 7AH should then "theoretically" provide 87 openings or closings (assuming they take 30s each).

So during load shedding is you come and go from your house 10 times (20 cycles) you really should not drain your normal 7AH SLA battery by more than 30%

Also for the trickle charger running at 500mA to replace the current from one cycle should take no longer than 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast