Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Battery replacement question

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    You are missing one important point here. How long does it take for your gate to open? 30s. So draining 10A for 30s is the equivalent of 0.08AH (10Ax30s/3600s). A battery rated at 7AH should then "theoretically" provide 87 openings or closings (assuming they take 30s each).

So during load shedding is you come and go from your house 10 times (20 cycles) you really should not drain your normal 7AH SLA battery by more than 30%

Also for the trickle charger running at 500mA to replace the current from one cycle should take no longer than 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
    Correct, but you never want to get close to 50% SOC. Why do you think so many people have to change batteries now?
    I used to love old gate motor batteries, they are no good for gates but they still work for hrs running 3W led light modules placed all over the house. I now donate them and a led module to other people for some light during loadshitting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Correct, but you never want to get close to 50% SOC. Why do you think so many people have to change batteries now?
    I used to love old gate motor batteries, they are no good for gates but they still work for hrs running 3W led light modules placed all over the house. I now donate them and a led module to other people for some light during loadshitting.
    Very interesting

Please elaborate on what is required for charging

If possible please post a link for the led module you refer to

Thanks

User

Here is a link to a cheapish charger.
    https://www.rabtron.co.za/battery-ch...harger-1a.html
    But if you have a smallish 12v dumb car battery charger, you can use it but it might over charge it if left on too long.

For the lights I prefer a warm white light colour.
    https://www.rabtron.co.za/led-lighti...white-12v.html
    In the kitchen I used a 10w 12v flood light reflecting off the ceiling which then gave more than enough light while working there but it pulls a bit more from the battery. That I ordered from AcDc express.
    I use female spade connectors on the fly leads and used a black permanent marker to mark the negative. You can also buy a 7ahr battery connector block for about R70 if you are so inclined.
    For my dad I ran a twinflex cable hanging from his garage roof, above his car bonnet over the ceiling, to above his dining room table. I used a 12v normal downlight + fitting through a inline switch. NB just put a inline 2Amp fuse as close as possible to the crocodile clips at your car battery, that is for safety sake.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Vaal View Post
    Yep but to hit 50% during a two hour load shedding session you would need to come and go from your house 20 times in those 2 hours. Not even a brothel sees that much traffic

User

Quote Originally Posted by atunguyd View Post
    Yep but to hit 50% during a two hour load shedding session you would need to come and go from your house 20 times in those 2 hours. Not even a brothel sees that much traffic

My centurion gate motor (normal 7.2 Ah SLA) seems to lose charge during loadshitting, even without me opening/closing the gate. During the 4 hr stages, the gate motor will not even move after about 2 hours, so I have just disengaged the motor from the toothed rail and I now have a fully manual gate with a good padlock that I have to unlock/lock when coming and going.

I'm thinking of installing a Blue Nova Lithium 8 Ah as that is the only one that will fit in the motor cabinet. For my electric fence, currently also offline, I could use any size Li battery, limited by price of course, as that battery lives on a shelf inside my house with a twin flex feeder to the energiser box outside.

I believe the BMS of the Blue Nova Mobile Power range of products means the gate and energiser chargers will be able to charge these Li batteries ? I'm assuming that's what the term "drop-in replacement" means.

User

It’s not a UPS, it does not need to provide continues current.
    Stop overthinking it, you don’t need lithium, I’ve been running 12 years on my gate motor with two batteries.

Look we are all paranoid because Esdom and all, but no, open and close times are extremely short operating durations.

Lithium requires substantial computer micro management, or it's useless, that is why a lead-acid is a battery, a lithium is a "managed battery".

User

Thank you Vaal for the detailed description

Much appreciated

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    My centurion gate motor (normal 7.2 Ah SLA) seems to lose charge during loadshitting, even without me opening/closing the gate. During the 4 hr stages, the gate motor will not even move after about 2 hours, so I have just disengaged the motor from the toothed rail and I now have a fully manual gate with a good padlock that I have to unlock/lock when coming and going.

I'm thinking of installing a Blue Nova Lithium 8 Ah as that is the only one that will fit in the motor cabinet. For my electric fence, currently also offline, I could use any size Li battery, limited by price of course, as that battery lives on a shelf inside my house with a twin flex feeder to the energiser box outside.

I believe the BMS of the Blue Nova Mobile Power range of products means the gate and energiser chargers will be able to charge these Li batteries ? I'm assuming that's what the term "drop-in replacement" means.
    I had the same issue with my Centurion d5 battery

11 months ago I bought a lithium battery from geewiz which was also a drop in replacement.
    It works perfectly.

I had an issue where the power to the gate was cut , perhaps due to the cabling being damaged by the garden engineer

The gate ran on the lithium battery for 4 days without being charged

Theoretically the lead acids should last but in practice it is not doing so. I am aware of many in my neighborhood who have moved to lithium because of loadshedding damage to batteries

User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    It’s not a UPS, it does not need to provide continues current.
    Stop overthinking it, you don’t need lithium, I’ve been running 12 years on my gate motor with two batteries.

Look we are all paranoid because Esdom and all, but no, open and close times are extremely short operating durations.

Lithium requires substantial computer micro management, or it's useless, that is why a lead-acid is a battery, a lithium is a "managed battery".
    I’m not overthinking it. If the motor doesn’t operate 2 hrs after loadshitting started, with zero gate movement, it’s either not charging properly or it’s discharging. I have reverted to manual mode, because if I get caught outside my property with a gate that won’t function, I’m worried my dog won’t come and unhook the motor and let me in.

I’m prepared to see if a Li replacement with the built-in BMS might give me better service. The current SLA battery is only a few months old.

User

Quote Originally Posted by HadEnuf View Post
    I’m not overthinking it. If the motor doesn’t operate 2 hrs after loadshitting started, with zero gate movement, it’s either not charging properly or it’s discharging. I have reverted to manual mode, because if I get caught outside my property with a gate that won’t function, I’m worried my dog won’t come and unhook the motor and let me in.

I’m prepared to see if a Li replacement with the built-in BMS might give me better service. The current SLA battery is only a few months old.
    A small suggestion and something to consider.
    Fit or have fitted a small and decently secured or lockable pedestrian gate to open when possibly caught outside.
    Many people don't have them integrated into the vehicle (and many times the only) access gate.

With no power and a closed or locked gate getting in is a problem as you know.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast