Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Need help selling a firearm to a private individual

Buyer to pay you for the firearm & maybe a deal can be struck with the ammo.
    Hold onto the firearm whilst his/her application is in process.
    If its declined, allow them to appeal.
    If it gets to that time when your license is going to expire, book it in at a dealer which should be August/September.
    Holding onto it is like doing a good deed by not letting the buyer pay too much on storage fees.
    If you near Port Elizabeth, i could come view the slugs & help you count them

Quote Originally Posted by Teamcam View Post
    Buyer to pay you for the firearm & maybe a deal can be struck with the ammo.
    Hold onto the firearm whilst his/her application is in process.
    If its declined, allow them to appeal.
    If it gets to that time when your license is going to expire, book it in at a dealer which should be August/September.
    Holding onto it is like doing a good deed by not letting the buyer pay too much on storage fees.
    If you near Port Elizabeth, i could come view the slugs & help you count them
    Yeah think I will do that and reduce the cost for the buyer.

No need! Already counted!

User

A firearm is private property. No money is needed as refund.

You can't change mid application from you to dealer stock.

You can submit a renewal app. That's a gentleman storage. Heck, charge the buyer for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wthang View Post
    A firearm is private property. No money is needed as refund.

You can't change mid application from you to dealer stock.

You can submit a renewal app. That's a gentleman storage. Heck, charge the buyer for it.
    Well that changes things a bit. I was under the impression that I could hold onto it a month before my license expires and then put onto dealer stock.....

User

Dealer stock means they complete the 271.

Hi.

Once the seller completes form 271 must it be taken to their DFO for anything ?
    I'm hoping that i have not been scammed by a seller whom i paid for in full for a firearm early last week. I've included courier fees, etc to my local Gunshop. Seller mentioned this Monday its being processed !!!

Btw: The seller knew exactly how the process runs and offered me two courier companies to choose from RAM and Blue something.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by bluefronted View Post
    Hi.

Once the seller completes form 271 must it be taken to their DFO for anything ?
    I'm hoping that i have not been scammed by a seller whom i paid for in full for a firearm early last week. I've included courier fees, etc to my local Gunshop. Seller mentioned this Monday its being processed !!!

Btw: The seller knew exactly how the process runs and offered me two courier companies to choose from RAM and Blue something.

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk
    If it is going to a Gunshop the seller needs to complete a 540, not a 271. The 540 puts it on their dealer stock and the shop issues you the 271.

Unless you have some storage only arrangement set up

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

If you have a very nice DFO, you can also ask that you be allowed to store the firearm you are buying in your safe until your license is granted. That's what happened when I sold my rifle.

Not sure exactly now, but you obviously need to have competency for the firearm you want to store. Some other conditions too. A good relationship with your DFO and some similar firearms on your name might help too.

You are not allowed to take the firearm out of the safe to shoot with it or anything of that nature, needs to be kept under lock and key until license is granted or rejected.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierMan View Post
    If you have a very nice DFO, you can also ask that you be allowed to store the firearm you are buying in your safe until your license is granted. That's what happened when I sold my rifle.

Not sure exactly now, but you obviously need to have competency for the firearm you want to store. Some other conditions too. A good relationship with your DFO and some similar firearms on your name might help too.

You are not allowed to take the firearm out of the safe to shoot with it or anything of that nature, needs to be kept under lock and key until license is granted or rejected.
    I did my storage permission forms last week. Both parties complete the form (SAPS 539) with sellers ID and a copy
    of the licence certified by the SAP.
    Dfo signed it off and the firearm was brought to me by the seller. Remains in the safe until your licence is issued.

Out of curiosity, if one would do this with a firearm that has an expired license, what would the process then be, seller first reapply and then sell it, or can a similar storage arrangement be made

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast