Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Default Norma African PH

I have bought some Norma African PH ammo for my 404 Jeffery.

The boxes are marked as it loaded with Woodleigh 450 gr Full Metal Jacket. No problem there.

Then I have also purchased soft nose offerings. Boxes nicely sealed and I did not bother to open them. These are marked to be Woodleigh 450 gr Soft Nose, but, and here the problem starts.

They look exactly like FMJ? So I have asked a friend to let me know how the Soft Nose African PH he has for his 458 Lott. They can be seen to be Soft Pointed. Mine for the 404 not.

I have read up about Woodleighs Weldcore Protected Point bullets. Not sure if the loads for 404 might be that? I cannot find a photo on the net for a Weldcore Protected Point in 450 gr .423 to confirm if they look exactly like FMJ.

Assistance here please.

Even if I do get helped by the correct answer, the situation still not to my liking. It is confusing to not be able to see clearly if a bullet is a FMJ or a Protected Point, should it even be those.

Or maybe Norma just made an error? But I doubt that. Then what other errors might they have?

Default Re: Norma African PH

All of Woodleighs expanding bullets have lead cores with a lead tip showing. If you don't see lead on the tip it is FMJ bullets. If you post a photo it might be easier to tell. The Protected Point looks more like a semi spitser unlike the normal Weldcore which is a traditional round nose bullet.

Hi Adoons,

I do not believe Woodleigh makes their Protected Point bullets in 404 caliber (https://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/...l/405-458-list).

Their Weldcore bullets (RN SN) are available in 404 and they should be clearly distinguishable from the FMJs.

Perhaps you could post some pictures of the rounds?

Best,
    Louis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Will try photos later. But from the above, they are then all FMJ packed in Soft Point boxes.

User

https://imgur.com/a/i6BmWWj

Hope this is working.

Photos self explanatory. Where 2 cartridges are shown, the so called "Soft Nose" are on the left everytime. Only difference I can see is a slight colour variation.

User

I see I have typed "Soft Point" some places above. Should be Soft Nose. Sorry Gents. I have "Protected Point" in my head. If this issue of this purchase keep on troubling my mind I might even start calling the bullets to be points and we all know what follows then.

Those are all FMJ bullets.

You are now ready to hunt elephant!

User

Thanks TStone. Bought them for Buffalo.

Who would have thought that the great Norma will make a mistake like that.

I have a lot of 450 gr FMJ now. Should work on Impala and kudu and BWB? Meat damage should not be too bad? I am asking, not making a statement.

But if I have them, I must use them.

Bought them for a really good price. I have no problem with loading Nickel Plated, so the brass will be handy after using the bullets.

Might down a few bushpig with it also, but the rifle is not a short and handy “stalk in the mealies at night and shoot them till they are dead” setup.

I have hunted with FMJ and monolithic non-expanding bullets in the 9.3x62 and .375 H&H, as long as you hit the heart or both lungs or, preferably, the heart AND both lungs they work. The .404 will probably be more forgiving but still be prepared for doing some tracking. Meat damage will be very little, you can normally eat right up to the bullet hole.

They will be good for follow up shots on buffalo but you'll need to be careful when hunting in herds.

See if you can find a PH with a .404, maybe he'll swop you for cartridges with expanding bullets.

User

We have Norma African PH Ammo for our 470's and 500 Jeffrey.
    The soft nose definately has the exposed lead tip.
    Earlier this year we had a wounded Buffalo, and unfortunately from the performance of the Woodleigh FMJ and a Soft Nose, we have/are slowly moving away from the African PH ammo, and reloading Dzombo Solids and Safari Bullet Company Softs in those 2 bigger calibers.
    It took 4 shots from the 500 Jeff to put the bull down. There was complete separation of the FMJ bullets, just copper jacket found from them. The Soft nose bullet was flattened out and missing over half the bullet.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast