Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Visiting RSA bearing gifts: which gun parts and accessories are controlled?

Since I'm planning to visit South Africa February-March I'd like to know which gun parts and accessories are controlled by the local authorities. Barrels, slides and receivers are in the list I believe, but how about magazines, buttstocks, springs, suppressors, trigger assemblies etc? There might be some parts easily available in Finland which are harder to get in RSA, so I might bring those with me if someone's got the need for them.

That is, if I get any of my trunks open before my departure...

User

Default Re: Visiting RSA bearing gifts: which gun parts and accessories are controlled?

If it was me I would bring items that are not easily recognisable as firearm parts. I would avoid magazines and buttstocks…

User

Default Re: Visiting RSA bearing gifts: which gun parts and accessories are controlled?

Since I want to avoid being prosecuted, I'd like to be sure I'm not breaking any local laws

User

I'd be concerned about the potential friction that it could cause you. Even if you bring in entirely legal parts our plods are not of the highest standards and may to a bit of free form interpretation of the law on your time.

User

So it seems I have to jump the border fence in Africa once more or forget the idea...

User

I'm not sure, but I think you may be able to get at least some clarity from one of the hunting outfits that deal regularly with international clients. The only one I can think of is T Stone.
    I have heard conflicting stories about how easy or difficult it may be, so for one who has not done it before it's a guessing game.
    So it seems I have to jump the border fence in Africa once more or forget the idea...
    Unlikely you would need to actually jump it, most of it doesn't actually exist, or so I read in the newspaper.

User

I'm not sure, but I think you may be able to get at least some clarity from one of the hunting outfits that deal regularly with international clients. The only one I can think of is T Stone.
    I have heard conflicting stories about how easy or difficult it may be, so for one who has not done it before it's a guessing game.
    Unlikely you would need to actually jump it, most of it doesn't actually exist, or so I read in the newspaper.

The problem is that every law enforcement officer at every airport is a law unto himself. We have had a client bringing in 16ga shot shells in his checked luggage, without having a 16ga shotgun or any kind of license with him without any trouble.
    On the other hand we had a client last year bringing primed .500 S&W cases with him in his check luggage which was confiscated despite the fact that he was allowed to bring in his .500 S&W rifle and loaded ammo for it.
    We have twice had clients pulled off local connecting flights because they each had one fired cartridge case in their check luggage. The cases were confiscated and they were allowed to go with stern warnings but both almost missed their flights.
    Not to be negative but I would be very hesitant to fly here with anything that looks like a gun part or a part of a cartridge. Optics are not a problem on the South African side and neither is cutlery as long as it is in your checked luggage.

User

Well, as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. Better stick with blades then, after all they are not dangerous like fired cartridge cases are...

Quote Originally Posted by AK-Gunner View Post
    Well, as they say, no good deed goes unpunished. Better stick with blades then, after all they are not dangerous like fired cartridge cases are...
    Yes, we all know how dangerous an inert piece of brass can be when it loses its temper.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast