Default 3d printer for parts and accessories

I’m playing around with the idea of buying a 3d printer to print some firearms parts and accessories. Specifically the primer tube and tool head holders on the dillon xl750. I see there is a whole range of upgrades that you can download and print.

I do a lot of building and fixing things and always want to finish a job when I start, not wait for parts etc.

My opinion is that it could be quite usefull and that it will pay for itself pretty soon, especially with the printer prices coming down so much.

I realise that there is a learning curve to master the printing, but love playing around with things like that. I’ve seen some interesting 3d printer holsters for revolvers with speedloader carriers on the range.

Anyone else that played around with something similar?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: 3d printer for parts and accessories

The printing is the easy part, designing and drawing the objects you want to print is more challenging in my experience. Some of the software requires training to use to the full potential of the product and can be fairly pricey.

User

Hi Marnus

Yes, they are usefull.

First and foremost will be getting a quality printer. Don't go for a R2k jobbie. That will give you enless frustration. Research and see what is available in your price class and take the best that you can afford. You need to take print dimensions and filament type into consideration as well.if the printer can marginally achieve what you want from it, then get another printer that has reserves for what you need it for.

If you have the printer, get quality filament.

Make time for trial and error. Good, strong prints doesn't just happen.Nozzle and bed temperatures, nozzle diameter, nozzle material, filament manufacturer, grade, etc all make a difference on the print.

Learn what your slicer settings does and which advantages and disadvantages each slicer has.

Fail a couple of times and then start putting out quality prints.

After a while you will realise that other people's designs are lacking and then you can start teaching yourself one of the thousands of draughting programs.

Sent from my BV9900E using Tapatalk

Banned

Plus, there's some very nice stl files on thingerverse

User

agree, don't buy the “toy” for price issue, otherwise you have to spend lots of time on adjusting..., time is also cost and value

User

My resistance to going down this rabbit hole is weakening fast. Saw some parts for the window winder mechanism of a car my mate is restoring on the weekend. They were printed from what i understand to be a carbon fibre reinforced filament and they were really impressive. He reckons this stuff is durable enough to be a viable direct replacement for hard to get or cripplingly expensive OEM parts. He's decided to make runs of everything he needs and put them up on ebay to test the market.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BBT View Post
    Plus, there's some very nice stl files on thingerverse
    No Star 30M grips as far as I could see though. I have been thinking of getting a printer and that would be one of the things I would like to try and print.

User

Firearm stuff gets removed pretty quickly from thingaverse. Or at least it used to get removed pretty quick. I have not been on the site for a while now.

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

User

I'd imagine that the 3d printed firearm community must have a repo or two knocking around.

Yes, I agree with the comments made. I've done quite a bit of research on the problems and tinkering to get the printed objects working. Cost saving is not my priority. I would just enjoy the freedom of adjusting designs etc. to fit my needs. I enjoy DIY projects and the satisfaction when you you've mastered a project. I hate having to wait for an imported part that I can't find locally. This applies to various other hobbies, not just firearm related.