User

Default Single point sling on Shotgun?

I don't profess to be anything other than an armchair critic; but this advice to use a single-point sling on a shottie feels pretty wrong to me.

From the little training I've done with people who know some shyte about a thing or two, the advice was always to use a 2-point sling.

The video mentions being able to sling the long gun when picking up a kid or injured person. So far so good. However, with a single-point sling, that bad boy is not going to be held in place with anything other than hopes and dreams.

In other words, the minute you start moving the shotgun is going to swing into you and slap your nuts. All good for after-hours activities but not really the thing you need during a potential fight/dangerous situation.

The benefit of the 2-point is that you can pull all the slack out of the sling to have the long gun right up and secured along your back. This frees up both hands and allows you to move pick up stuff, climb a ladder etc without the gun flopping about.

My experience is limited so looking here for some light on whether there's nuance that I'm missing in regards to using the 1-point sling on a long gun.

User

Default Re: Single point sling on Shotgun?

I think that we can class the One point sling vs the Two point sling as the 1 point as a "tactical carry" and the 2 point as "traveling carry". I see a lot of Military and AR users using the 1 point carry and it looks like its is quicker to get the gun in the ready position than the 2 point carry. If you need to walk from A to B and use your hands the 2 point carry will keep the gun out of your way.

User

Flexible single point slings and in general single point slings that loop around your body are a bad idea. A year ago I shared some of my thoughts on different slings on my Meanwhile Back In Finland journal. Here's the link for those interested:

https://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/sho...=1#post1448100

There's a part two on the next page.

User

It appears the video link is missing. Here it is again for reference.

User

With all due respect to Uncle Tim; I think he's #talkin'outhisarse.

The only thing that could possibly be carried on a single point sling is a handgrenade.

I have some experience working with long guns while in uniform; and competing in realistic scenarios (in Paladin shoots) with lots of transitioning between long guns and handguns. I have seen people actually honestly attempt to use single point slings on rifles and SG's and each time they ended up going to a two point sling pretty quick.

None of the "negatives" Uncle Tim mentions regarding two point slings is actualy an issue for anyone who knows how to use a SG.
    If he would take the challenge of completing a simple realistic course of fire involving target engagement around and over something like a vehicle and clearing a room or two or simply just walking up a stairwell with a SG on a single point sling while his hands are busy holding a HG / torch / happymeal and he still has all his front teeth / no dislocated knee cap / no ruptured or torn scrotum or nuts when he's done;... then I might reconsider.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I have tried single point slings on my AR and Ruger PC Carbine when working or moving about the farm or patrolling for Bushpig etc. Not decent brand name slings. Improvised concoctions to just get the feel or feasibility of the idea. I carried like that for the distance from the front door to my bakkie. What a mess. Maybe a professional soldier with all sorts of other gear that keep the rifle in a certain space it might work. But with normal clothing it makes for a knee cap breaker. Without one hand on the rifle it cannot be controlled. One point slings I bet is to hang rifles in a tree or something....

My Roni I do use with a single point sling. Works to perfection with the short setup. The opened stock nestles nicely against my shoulder in the hanging position and the rest is easily controlled by my right arm (I shoot and carry right side), with hands still free. I have carried it like that, but with the stock closed and a jacket in town without getting made a few times.