Default Hunting with an AR

Hi Guys.

Did my Carbine competency today.
    Was told by one of the instructors that one cannot use an AR to hunt with in SA.

But he could not show us where in the Law, etc it says so ?

What "says" the law on this matter ?

If this topic has been discussed elsewhere pls refer me to the link

Sent from my SM-F721B using Tapatalk

User

Default Re: Hunting with an AR

Hunting regs are per province. As far as I know (which is not fat at all) centrefire semi auto isn't allowed anywhere for hunting. May be wrong as I know that semi shotgun with 2 round capacity is ok where i wingshoot. I'm sure the chaps that know will be by to clear this up.

User

Verboten as per:
    NEMBA
    TOPS regulations
    Provincial hunting regulations of WC, EC and Gauteng. I have not read the other provinces' regulations, but assume they will be similar.

Yip, Not allowed. People do use them for Pest control though.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

The law is one thing. What will be allowed by your hunting host is also a consideration. I bet pulling your AR from a rifle bag on the hunting farm might see yourself not welcomed. Most AR's are in .223 also and mostly short barrels = reduced velocity and accuracy in any case. And a .223 is marginal for "general hunting" as it is. Not saying an AR cannot be accurate. My stock standard Ruger AR556 easily shoots 1 MOA with Federal Fusion Ammo in 62 gr. S&B 55 gr FMJ 2,5 MOA. 2,5 MOA more than enough accuracy for hunting. (1:8 twist prefer the heavier bullet.) One day or some day when all else that take up hobby time is done I will start reloading for it.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

I've read just now that there are regulations on barrel length for Semi-Auto pistols for hunting. That will then be lawfull to hunt with a Semi-Auto pistol but not a rifle? Weird. Must go now, I bet the extract of the law will show up here in due time.

User

Generally, semi-auto's of all kinds are forbidden for hunting on open farms.

Some provinces have exceptions for landowners, non-game species and farms with exemption certificates. Do study the provincial acts for the provinces you intend to hunt in.

There have been people who have hunted with a SLR with a blind mag fitted, converting it to single shot operation. This may or may not work for certain circumstances.

Since AR's are usually chambered in 223 caliber, they are generally deemed suitable for smaller varmint animals only. A 308 version is a different matter.

User

If I recall correctly the barrel length is in terms of handguns.

Semi auto remains prohibited regardless of it being a rifle, shotgun or handgun, unless it has been permanently modified to accept only 1 round in its magazine.

It is difficult to really understand what the purpose of this prohibition is, but until it changes, it is the law.

There is however always an opportunity to apply for a permit to use a prohibited firearm in certain circumstances.

Sent from my SM-A307FN using Tapatalk