Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default safe: sabs approved or only standerds?

Hi,

I am in the prosess of buying a safe for my "to be" rifle.
    The thing is some people tells me that it must be a sabs approved safe and some say it neednt be as long as it is to their satanderds.

I saw a 5 rifle safe for sale, not sabs approved but to their standerds for R1500.

I do not want to buy the safe if the police are not going to approve my competensy test.

Any info will be appriciated. please.

thanx

Default Re: safe: sabs approved or only standerds?

Strictly the safe needs only to meet the standards. However, the police seem to be of the view, and I submit that they are mistaken, that it need to bear the SABS mark, and thus be approved. I'd check with your DFO.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

When I bought my safe it came with a piece of paper stating that it is either SABS approved of comply with the required standards. I have misplaced that piece of paper. I was concerned about this issue but when my safe inspection was done, this issue did not really surface.

As far as I have it (from the information supplied to me by the service provider when I did my competency training), it has to comply to these standards but does not necessarily be SABS approved. I am however not sure if this is 100% correct. I will also go and scratch and see what I can find.

I did a bit of searching and from what I can find, it does not have to be SABS approved but it must comply with the SABS Standard. See the following extract:

Chapter 10
    Safe custody of firearms and ammunition
    Safes and safe custody
    86. (1) When a firearm is not under the direct personal and physical control of a holder of a licence, authorisation or permit to possess the firearm, the firearm and its ammunition must be stored in a safe or strongroom that conforms to the prescripts of SABS Standard 953-1 and 953-2, unless otherwise specifically provided in these regulations.

This is as per the 2004 Regulations for the ACT of 2000

{The underlining is my addition to the text}

My license for my g21 has just been approved, just need a safe inspection,..... working backwards?

I spoke to the DFO for Pta east about my safe and SABS approval, according to the police (it has become their standard) that when re-licensing, the safe only has to comply with the regulations set out in the act, but when applying for a new license the safe must bare the SABS "stamp of approval" ie. the metal plaque or a serial nr punched into the metal. I would rather be safe than sorry even though the act stipulates otherwise.

User

+10 haris. I know they seem to be working backwards. It does make sence if you think about it. Doing it that way saves time and petrol. For renewel they look if it is up 2 standard but for a new licence they want to see the sads mark and a serial number

Not when they did my safe inspection late last year that covered renewals and new licenses......

The act is the act and that is the rule that has to apply for both sides....

User

yes corne that is true. But it seems like the act is implemented in a different way at every station. I know this is wrong but that is how it is at the moment. Rather be safe than sorry and get 1 with the sabs mark and number

If you are going through the alberton DFO make sure it has a serial number or they are not interested. Thats what I was told by the guy who inspected my safe.

So it seems they are all different.

User

haris was that silverton or brooklyn? I did mine at silverton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast