Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Most popular big bore caliber in Africa

Hi all.
    I'm think of getting a big bore caliber rifle.
    What is the most popular big bore rifle used in Africa?
    I currently own a 375 Ruger and a 45-70Gov so I'm look for a proper big bore.
    The reason I ask as popularity will dictate the best source of Ammunition, reloading parts and borrowed ammo if need be.

Please give me your opinion and what you have observed PH so use.

Regards
    B

Banned

Default Re: Most popular big bore caliber in Africa

Best serviced calibre should be 458 Win. With 450gr bullets it will give ample performance (Think new SBC and mono combination)

User

Quote Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
    What is the most popular big bore rifle used in Africa?
    This is a broad church - what is common in French Equatorial Africa is different to East Africa, different to Southern Africa. I would think popularity in your location is the most important thing?

Quote Originally Posted by buccaneer View Post
    The reason I ask as popularity will dictate the best source of Ammunition, reloading parts and borrowed ammo if need be.
    If you're after factory ammo then as Driepoot says, 458 Win will be hard beat.
    For reloading, the hardest component to source is brass - bullets can be sourced locally, primers and powder are generally not too calibre-specific so can be found. But if you can't get cases, then your big bore just became an oar.

I would suggest that the H&H family of cases is the most readily available family of cases - 264 WM, 7mm RM, 300 WM, 300 H&H, 338 WM, 375 H&H etc all use the same parent case. While some may be a bit short to be turned into a Lott, they will all work for the 458 WM. And you have a 375 H&H already, so you have brass available for both 458 WM and Lott.
    I'd be tempted to go the Lott route just cos it gives a bit more horsepower versus the WM, and WM ammo can be used in the Lott if you need to.

TLDR: What Oom Driepoot said

User

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    Best serviced calibre should be 458 Win. With 450gr bullets it will give ample performance (Think new SBC and mono combination)
    Guys are comfortably getting 2200fps out of a 458wm using my 450gr.

That’s more than enough powder for everything on this continent.

User

It must be the 458 Lott, little more horsepower than the 458 Win Mag with the ability to fire 458 win Mag ammo in a pinch although I don't think you would have problems finding ammo for it.

I was thinking of the 458 Lott, because for many years the 458 win mag was all that was available and in a pinch you could use 458win ammunition.

Any one know how much accuracy do you loose by using a 458win in a 458 Lott?

I said most popular because I assumed that like the 375 H&H there would be a big bore that you'd almost always find in a hunting camp.

User

Default Most popular big bore caliber in Africa

[QUOTE=buccaneer;1489715

Any one know how much accuracy do you loose by using a 458win in a 458 Lott?

.[/QUOTE]

Doubt accuracy loss.
    What you do get is the burn / erosion / flame cutting of the front part of your chamber and by shooting to much WM in a Lott will cause Lott cases to get stuck.

Not something that you want on a dangerous game rifle.

The 458 win mag feels like a proper big bore in every possible way. Cases are easy to come by. Ammo is also easily available if not cheap.

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Nostalgic me would say 404 Jeffery.

When using my brain, 458 WM

No PH will frown on your choice as all of them know that the “problems” of yesteryear is long gone for the 458 WM.

If thinking about Lott, just remember recoil is fierce.

User

Theres always 500Jeffrey ammo at safari outdoor

But as all have said, 458 win mag is easily most popular /readily available here in SA.

Although for the price of ammo these days reloading is your friend. Maybe its just me but if I’m going to be reloading then why go for the easiest, go for the calibre that speaks to your heartstrings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast