Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: Most popular big bore caliber in Africa

If you are looking for the best source of ammunition then look no further than the .375H&H. If you are looking to be a hunter and not a PH then this is all you need. If you want a rifle where you can stick a finger into the barrel, and you don’t want the 375H&H, then you are probably best served with the 458Win Mag when it comes to ammunition availability.
    Don’t take life too seriously, no one gets out alive.

Banned

Some questions/ideas, and no harmer pun intended:

How serious are you about hunting with a big bore in remote areas? A PH or outfitter should be worried about availability of ammunition. Other hunters should be able to get along with thirty to fifty reloaded cartridges for big bore purposes?

Buying and using a big bore for hunting - generally spoken - puts you in the class of the big boys. Ammunition (bought or reloaded) should be one of the smaller worries/expenses.

From acquaintanced PH's I have learned that they get a calibre which they trust and prefer for personal use, and do what it takes to get the ammunition. They mostly reload. Availability only plays a role if they have to get ammunition for a loan rifle for clients.

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    If you are looking for the best source of ammunition then look no further than the .375H&H. If you are looking to be a hunter and not a PH then this is all you need. If you want a rifle where you can stick a finger into the barrel, and you don’t want the 375H&H, then you are probably best served with the 458Win Mag when it comes to ammunition availability.
    You Sir, understand the appeal of the 458 win mag.

Banned

I gave thought to the 375HH when I saw this post, but it is a medium bore. The 458 is a big bore and best known by most people - even Dirty Harry used one.

User

It's a question I always ask the experienced field guides. Two calibres always come up, 458 for guiding , and 375 if you recoil shy or not actively guiding. Always followed with Dzombo solids in the conversation.

User

And the OP already has a 375 Ruger.....

I had guessed that the 458 WM was the most popular big bore.
    Nice to confirm it and get other peoples thoughts.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    It's a question I always ask the experienced field guides. Two calibres always come up, 458 for guiding , and 375 if you recoil shy or not actively guiding. Always followed with Dzombo solids in the conversation.
    Interestingly enough out of all the experienced trails guides I know, none of them have 458win mag (except me). They either have 458 lott/express or other calibres like 404jeffrey, 416Rigby, 450Rigby, 505Gibbs, and a smattering of double rifles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Right next to the pot that needs stirring.

Quote Originally Posted by Antlion View Post
    This is why the .416 (Winchester and Rigby) and .404 Jeffery exists. (Ballistically those 3 are close enough to be called "the same ballistic class"). They fit in between the .375 and .458. Have very good penetration potential, might even outperform the .458 WM in penetration and with heavy bullets (425 - 450 gr) provides with serious enough "knock down power."

DS J - Very valid point regarding ammo availability. 100 rounds should see one through a very long safari as a hunter indeed!

User

.458Winchester Magnum...it is not that common , looking at shooting exercises of SA Jagters clubs I have not seen a lot of .458 WM calibers when shooting the Big Bore discipline.

Most members shoot a 30-06 to a .375 H&H Magnum..

Most PH /Game rangers /guides use the .458 WM caliber rifles as well here in the Kruger National Park, and other game ranches.
    In real life scenarios the proof of what Big Bore caliber you notice in the professional hunting world here in South Africa and their neighbor countries ...the .458 Win Mag.

The .375 H&H is a transitional bore ...or medium bore , the .458 WM is a Big Bore in real life .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2